Hose Repair Tape?

I have a seeper hose (it's supposed to seep) for watering plants. It has developed a large split. Is there some tape with which I could repair it? PVC Insulating tape doesn't work!

Thanks

Mr F.

Reply to
Mr Fizzion

Heat shrink tubing. You should be able to get some at most electrical shops ie Maplins.

George

Duct tape (Duck tape).

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not overly waterproof. Heat shrink sleeve might be a PITA to fit if the split isn't near an end as it'll need threading over. I'd use self amalgamating tape.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Isn't that another name for the PVC insulating tape that didn't work?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

'Fraid you're in the wrong branch Fizziks - you need Fuzzion rather than Fizzion!

Reply to
Roger Mills

In message , The Medway Handyman wrote

Self amalgamating tape is something different. As its name suggests it joins to itself (self fusing). It doesn't have a glue layer but you stretch it to around twice its length as you apply it and use multiple layers. Leave it for a short time you will not be able to separate the layers. It's recommended for providing a waterproof seal on satellite or aerial down-lead connectors and repairing pipes and hoses.

Alan

No. Completely different. I used it to jury rig a badly leaking dishwasher hose until I could get a new one. Worked a treat.

Reply to
Bob Eager

There is something called hose repair tape, primarily intended for water hoses in cars I think, but also sold in ironmongers. It comprises a reel of self amalgamating tape, which creates a watertight seal, and a black fabric tape, of the type used as electrical insulating tape before PVC tape, that you wrap over the self-amalgamating tape to provide pressure resistance.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Self amalgamating tape. Whereabouts are you?

Reply to
Paul Matthews

In message , The Medway Handyman writes

Self amalgamating tape is handyman bodge heaven

Reply to
geoff

No. Self amalgamting tape on the reel is soft, about 1mm thick and has a backing between the layers. You remove the backing and stretch it about double it's length as you apply it. It then chemically bonds to itself forming a solid, strong but pliable, weatherproof covering.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Must buy some immediately :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Depending on what the hose is made of self-amalgamating tape might meld to it.

Reply to
John Stumbles

I've used it to emergency repair a rubber petrol hose. Worked so well I forgot about it until with a sinking feeling I remembered it was still there when the car went for its MOT.

It passed.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Get 2 types PIB self amalgamating and Silicone self fusing, PIB is cheaper but think its temp tolerance is lower.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby