How to turn off the reversing noise ROADSTER DX-8

Hi everyone I'm hoping someone can help me. I am 48 and a mobility scooter user due to Spina bifida. My problem is that I would like to stop the scooter from making the beeping noise when I am reversing. The scooter is a VAN OS MEDICAL ROADSTER DX-8.

Reply to
WOLFIE4371

Is not the reversing noise there for persons like myself who are blind and might not know you were reversing?

Sorry but I don't get it. its a safety feature and we have just won the right to get all electric vehicles given a sound which cannot be turned off. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

FFS are we going to get sound pollution from all the electric cars reversing in/out of driveways at silly o'clock every day?

Reply to
alan_m

No they are going to make a noise when moving in either direction, just like cars with engines do.

I have no idea what the deaf blind are going to do when stupid drivers hit them.

Reply to
dennis

If you can find the actual sounder you could simply snip one of the wires (or fit a switch), then tape up the end so it doesn't short on anything. The sounder is likely to be a little round thing somewhere under a panel at the back. Get someone to find it by listening.

I've looked through the user manual and can't find anything. The maintenance manual I can't find on line.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Thjis may help you.

Many years ago in 'studio sound' anmd umnterview with a famnout guitarist took place. "And why do you run your loudpeaker cabinets with no grilles? Is it to get a specuially opure sound?"

"Nah: It's so I can kick the f****ng cones in when they start buzzing"

I suggest you kick the f****ng bleeper in

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Probably the same as they do now. They get hurt.

They are not going to see or hear you no matter how many warning lights or buzzers you fit to a car.

Reply to
ARW

Yes I checked the manual as well, nothing much on electrics. Trouble could be the bleeper also doubles as the horn.

Reply to
ss

Yes but people that know how to drive take these things into account, the stupid don't.

IIRC about 10% of drivers are deaf but some people still think sounding horns will get a reaction from everyone.

Reply to
dennis

I would say that 0.01% of drivers are blind considering my trip up the MWay today.

Adam

Reply to
ARW

It was (still is?) legal for the registered blind to drive if they can read the numberplate at the required distance.

Reply to
dennis

Bill Wright explained :

A blob of bluetac stuck over the sounder's hole, would almost silence it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The Natural Philosopher expressed precisely :

Again, in English please?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Like most, I don't get all my postings completely accurate, but my spell checker sorts out much of my ramblings before they are released into the wild.

I can't quite understand why TNP clearly doesn't use this facility, is it some sort of aversion to the technology?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

1/. It takes time

2/. It takes finger power that arthritis is denying me.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Start using dictation software. Then, you'll spout even more nonsense (as the software adds its own interpretation quite often) but it will be perfectly spelt.

Actually, you'll be able to increase your NPH (nonsense per hour), as dictation is a lot faster than typing.

HTH :)

Reply to
GB

Seems to me just a typical extreme Brexiteer. Making anything plain to all the last thing he wants.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Less likely though given that eyes tend to be in the side of the head that's facing forwards.

Reply to
R D S

Good - I was thinking of suggesting it to someone. The sound should be controlled by an ambient-noise microphone so that a person with elderly but functional hearing will be able to hear the sound at a suitable distance, perhaps depending on the speed/direction of the vehicle. This noise will help the sighted too - having seen a parked car, they may by force of habit think it safe to walk behind the car while looking for hazards elsewhere.

Let the owner choose the sound - I'd favour portions of the Grand March from Aida, the Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves, the Overture to Tannhauser, or of course The Padstow Lifeboat and the Entry of the Gladiators or Der alte Brummbaer. YMMV.

Reply to
dr.s.lartius

For electric cars, I would suggest the sound of ... a normal car! People have been brought up for all their lives to recognise the sound of and the danger of cars. Using different sounds may well mean that people don't immediately recognise the danger. Even after decades of electric car use, if just any sound is allowed, people will be having to look at every noise or will be ignoring most of them.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker