How to test satellite dish connection

I recently moved to a new house that already had a satellite dish installed, so I bought a refurbished set top box to pick up the free channels. When I set it up, the set top box reported no satellite signal.

Is there a way of testing whether the connection to the dish from the wall socket is OK using a multimeter? I know that the dish may need to be adjusted to point in the right direction, but first of all I just want to know if the dish / co-axial connections are all OK.

Many thanks, Rick

Reply to
eazilyled

I often get al ittle spark when connecting the cable to the STB. If the dish is poiting at the wrong satellite then the STB should be able to show that it's receving some signal and often it'll tell you which satelite it's looking at.

Reply to
adder1969

Yes indeed, a ploy I have used in the past, all it proves is there is something ?electronic? at the other end of the cable, and there is an unbroken connection to it

What you need is a multimeter with a ?diode test? range, usually a symbol like this

--|

Reply to
Graham.

Make sure that you are getting a DC voltage on the cable coming from the set top box , this is used to power the LNB and switch polarities etc. It can be switched on/off in the box and I believe will switch off on overload. Go to installer menu ie Services - System test then 0 1,select ( you will not get anything until after you have pressed the select -this gets you to hidden installers menu) LNB setup - Power ON

Reply to
robert

Thanks for the replies guys.

I did the diode test on the coax socket in the wall - one way gave a zero reading and the other way a positive value.

I also confirmed I was getting DC voltage on the cable coming from the set top box.

The LNB setup menu still said no satellite signal.

I know for a fact that the dish was secured to a fixed position by a workman when he noticed it was swinging about just after moving in. I guess there is a very high chance that the dish is no longer pointing in the right direction.

Where would I go from here? I've heard about dish meters that help you align the dish, but is it something that someone with moderate DIY skills can do?

Reply to
eazilyled

Check it looks like it's pointing in the same direction as neighbours' ones? That worked for my first time installation - but I have easy access to mine and it is a 1 mtr dish. My kit also included a finder - which plugs between dish and receiver and bleeps as the signal gets stronger. Once you find the vague correct direction.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If what you say about the workman is true, then I would say there is zero chance that it is pointing the right way.

If we assume for the time being that the dish wasn't disturbed in its up and down (elevation adjustment), and only the sideways (azimuth) setting was disturbed, than that makes your task a whole lot easier. Is it just a Sky setup? Is it possible to position a TV so you can see the screen while you adjust the dish? It is quite possible to do this using only the signal test facility on the Digibox, you need to swing the dish a very small amount then wait 5 seconds for a response from the dish (it's not instant) then swing it a bit more etc. What you are initially looking for is the signal lock to indicator to change to "OK" then make a fine adjustment for maximum signal quality.

Reply to
Graham.

Buying/borrowing a cheap satellite strength meter with just tone output is probably worth it. The dish should be approx vertical, dont angle it up, look where the other dishes are pointing and start from the east when moving the dish. When you do get a signal and the Test signal says it is locked make sure the menu shows it is "D2" and not "D1" ( wrong satellite to far west) Final adjustment should be for maximum Quality. Good Luck

Reply to
robert