How to specify a colour to a printing company

Even if you do it doesn't give exact matching.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Not a solution to your dilemma, but this will highlight the difficulty of the task:

Richard

When I did that a couple of years ago I got a perfect score, I did take quite a while before I was happy to hit the "score" button though ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I took a while, but only managed a score of 30 :(

Reply to
Richard

32 - I do wonder how much difference the quality of the screen makes.
Reply to
Fredxxx

Right, did it again and got 0, this time spent some time rechecking and making full screen. Was convinced that there was a sequence of 3 colours on top row that were not smoothly changing.

Reply to
Fredxxx

I got 8. Best score for my age range is 2!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

That could be possible if your screen has only 6bpp, rather than 8bpp

Reply to
Andy Burns

8, after running out of patience - the errors being in a 7-wide clump # ####### in the blue-green area.
Reply to
Mike Barnes

Can you not buy colour cards to stick next to your screen so you can adjust your monitor to be accurate? Every monitor I've seen you can change brightness, contrast, and R G and B individually, and often other stuff too.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

I got 15, although I didn't spend a lot of time. I'm in the 60-65 age range. I'm using a laptop, which might not be the best.

Reply to
Davey

You must have been going around with your eyes closed. Many, many monitors have no means for adjusting RGB at all - or only with a very simplistic preset profile. Getting monitors with properly, independently adjustable RGB used to raise the prices very substantially.

(Of course, the computer to which the monitor is attached might have various options for adjustments.)

Reply to
polygonum

I've not seen a CRT that can't either, but then I don't buy cheap shit.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

No, you just talk it.

Reply to
Richard

A CRT that won't do 90Hz was never purchased.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Another factor is the ambient lighting when looking at cards, especially in these days of so many lamp types, and daylight conditions. Then there is the unknown spectral reflectivity of the cards.

Reply to
Dave W

On Mon, 01 Aug 2016 17:20:13 +0100, Dave W wrote:=

I assume you are supposed to use a standard lamp of some kind? Anyway, = even without that I'm sure it would correct the monitor a hell of a lot.=

Errrrr, the people that made them must know that.

-- =

Paddy calls Easyjet to book a flight. The operator asks "How many people are flying with you?" Paddy replies "I don't know! It=E2=80=99s your flipping plane!"

Reply to
James Wilkinson

The special monitors we have at work have a little arm with a sensor that checks the colour.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Surely once you've calibrated a monitor, it stays that way?

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Yes, Andy, that can't be stressed enough.

Print tests with a particular printer will get you somewhere near, should you be very concerned.

I once did a 4in * 3in advert for a young girl beautician. She was very satisfied with the overall looks and final print but, the outcome was so different from the screen 'and' my home print. This in spite of knowing and using the correct colour set for that issue.

Given all the hardware and software calculations and interpretations, putting your digital view to an unknown paper and getting the same image is unlikely.

Though, as in my one case, different was upsetting, it still looked well.

Reply to
RayL12