How to setup Newstap with a free newsfeed?

Hi All Or rather hi some as I suspect some of you don't see my messages due to a pathological hatred of GG.

Can anyone give me step by step instructions as to how to sort out free access to uk.d-I-y via Newstap lite. I did have a look at it the other week, but couldn't figure it out.

TIA

Chris

Reply to
cpvh

Pretty much like setting up any news client. Just need your server name and password and off you go. It's easy enough to google the appropriate setting for any news service.

I use Eternal September these days that works pretty well for a free service. BTW, well worth paying for the full version of news tap if you want to follow more than one group.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Go to Eternal September and register a username and password. It makes sense to make both username and password "complex" - a mix of upper case, lower case and numbers. Keep a record of your registration details.

Go to Settings -> News Tap

Server: news.eternal-september.org Port: 119 Login Name: Password:

In the Personal section set

Mail: to a mail address that meets the rules on the Eternal September website

Name: to the name you want in your posts.

Leave all other settings as they are.

Now in Newstap select Connect and slide the "Get list of all groups" to "on" and all other switches to "off". Press "connect & transfer data" and it will download all the groups in the server.

Now in groups select "+" and choose your groups.

"Get list of all groups" OFF "Load new articles" ON "Send articles" ON "Delete old articles" ON "Delete read articles" OFF

You're ready to go.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Do you have to use Newstap lite?

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Thanks for all the replies, I don't have to use Newstap lite, but have to use something from the App Store (with an IPhone 4 on O2)

Reply to
cpvh