How to replace furnace filter?

We have a Carrier gas furnace installed about a year ago. I'd like to replace the filter but need some advice. The manual that came with it is very generic and not very helpful.

There's an existing filter in a "box" that sets on top of the furnace. The air return attaches to the top of the box and the air passes down through it. The filter sets over a rectangular opening in the bottom of the box, supported on the rim of the opening. The opening has no cross braces or supports, just a large rectangular hole with a narrow edge that supports the filter. It looks like it would just take a standard(?) 16x25 filter.

My question is will a standard filter have sufficient stiffness not to buckle and get sucked into the furnace? Or will I have to put in some kind of sheet metal grill or other supports?

The existing filter is kind of coarse mesh stuff and seems like it won't trap fine particles, which is why I want to replace it. It has a couple of steel rods passing through it to give it some stiffness. But it's not in a cardboard frame like the filters we used in our old furnace.

Thanks for your help.

-- Joel

Reply to
default

That's a washable filter that came with the furnace. It can be washed and reused, or replaced with a filter that has a cardboard frame. The filter should support itself without "falling into the furnace".

If you go with a pleated filter, you must understand that they are more restrictive to air flow to begin with, and you have to monitor them and replace them when they get dirty, probably more so than the cheap filters.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

Standard filter should work OK. If you are concerned you can probably put a brace across, but I've never seen them to be a problem.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

gofrugal had written this in response to

: I have goldman down flow, I can't figure out where the filter is. Any help?

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 259150 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
gofrugal

:

Never heard of Goldman, you sure it isn't "Goodman" ?

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake