Which lube for lamp sockets?

I've got a hanging light fixture whose socket threads are getting skanky. The fixture will be replaced in 3 months or so, but today, I can't get a light bulb to thread back into the socket because it's a bit rough. Dialectric grease seems like the wrong thing to use. Help.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I have always said you can't even screw in a light bulb.

Reply to
Terry

Apparently it's true! Removing the old one, the threads felt rough enough that I held a trash can under the fixture, and put on a glove because I was concerned about the bulb coming apart.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I might clean the socket with a wire tooth brush (preferably with the power off) and wipe the socket with a paper towel moistened with WD40.

Reply to
GWB

High temp axle grease, and hold the graphite.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

turn breaker OFF while messing around.

just in case the fixture is wired wrong you could get a nasty shock.

bet your using those flame bulbs, they tend to do thatr bad.

use regular bulbs its much less of a problem

Reply to
hallerb

No. Regular edison base bulb, but a large globe shape.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

On new bulbs, I use anything greasy that is handy. In the kitchen, crisco or cooking oil or bacon or whatever is handiest.

But the secret is to spread it so thinly that it doesn't appear on the surface with the naked eye. Pick up a KFC chicken leg, sit it down and then touch the threads with your greasy finger and rub it in.

When away from the kitchen or too lazy to go to the kitchen, then use ear wax. Works great!. I've been using it for 40 years and never had a bulb that wouldn't unscrew smoothly.

Duff

Reply to
Duff

I had a customer who used Vaseline on her sockets once. I wound up having to replace the fixture for her because the sockets were burnt. I don't think petroleum based lubricants are a good idea. Try this stuff instead:

John Grabowski

They work fine IF you apply sparingly. Wipe it on and then wipe it all off with a tissue or hanky. It will leave an invisible coating that will NOT harden and burn.

Reply to
Duff

i thought of this thread today whilst i put just a dab of soldering paste on a bulb base. Worked great. (just happened to be what was sitting there)

S. Barker

I ended up using mayonnaise.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Why spend all that money when every man has what is needed right in his own body. The solution is to coat the threads with s**en. Simply take a break, get relaxed, and m*******te into your hand. Rub the highly lubricating s**en into the socket threads and screw in the bulb. It's never been so much fun doing a home repair !!!!!

Jack Cough

Reply to
Jack Cough

I always use WD-40 to keep my bulbs from "freezing" in the sockets of my ceiling and fan fixtures.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Nose Oil, the stuff on the OUTside of your nose, works great too, just rub the bulb threads along the side of your nose.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Not so, Terry!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I would first disconnect power at fuse box. Remove bulbs and brush threads in lamp with a stiff toothbrush to remove as much grime as possible. I would then squirt the brush with electronic contact cleaner and brush the threads again. Most likely you have a layer of oxidation that is adding friction to the fit.

Reply to
franz frippl

Best stuff to use is DeoxIT,

Dissolves oxidation and corrosion, lubricates and protects surfaces. Bunch of places carry it, including RadioShack, Fry's and others. Mike

Reply to
shaqtopz

I like the way you talk.

Duff

Reply to
Duff

FWIW, I've always just rubbed them with a candle for a few moments.

Reply to
CJT