How to Seal Siphon

OK so the back room's getting beyond a joke. Just recovering from leaks due to a dodgy flat roof (still got to do more than splash sealing gunk all over it that reminds me), when guess what, an upstairs toilet leaks from the joint between the cistern and the flush pipe. Confident it is the seal between the siphon and tank base as it leaks constantly, not just at flush time. Problem is I can't blame anyone else cos it was me that made this joint whilst curing other leaks!

So the question is - do I need to use some kind of sealer on either side of the rubber washer at the base of the siphon? Tried refitting the old one and applying silicone each side of the washer, but when I tightened the back nut, the washer just squeezed out from beneath the siphon flange. Maybe I over tightened it as a reaction to the leak!

Any comments/suggestions appreciated. The cistern itself is a concealed flexible plastic version - totally naff which probably doesn't help.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster