Increasing hot water flow

I am in the process of replacing my cold water tank in the loft on a fully pumped CH/hot water system. The flow from the hot taps has always been rather poor. I am in a top floor flat hence the available attic space.

The hw pipe from the tank leaves as 22mm and then immediately reduces to 15mm before it leaves the airing cupboard.

1) Would replacing the existing 25 gallon tank with a larger 50 gallon tank improve things?

2) Would raising the tank from the loft floor and putting it on a stand help? I would probably only gain about 1m in height if I did this.

Any help is appreciated.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy Hide

not realy.

this would help quite a bit.

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

The two things which influence flow rate are pressure and pipe resistance. On a gravity system such as yours, the pressure is determined by the

*vertical* distance between the top surface of the water in the header tank and the hot tap in question. Having a larger tank will not affect this at all (unless this also results in a higher level). Raising the tank will make *some* difference, but maybe not all that much. If you can easily raise it while replacing it, do so - it can't do any harm! Also a bigger one would be good to make sure that you can use all the hot water in your cylinder before emtpying the header and thus not being able to expel any more hot. Bear in mind, though, that water is heavy stuff. A 50 gallon tank full of water weighs 500 lbs plus the weight of the tank itself - so you need to make sure that you build a strong support for it.

Pipe resistance is determined by pipe diameter and the number of bends and elbows around which the water has to flow. The flow path to a hot tap includes the feed pipe from the bottom of the header tank to the bottom of the hot cylinder and the pipework from the top of the hot cylinder to the taps. It is well worth while ensuring that as much as possible of this is

22mm - if not 28mm - and that sweep bends are used rather than elbows.
Reply to
Set Square

snipped-for-privacy@dsl.pipex.com (Andy Hide) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

I live in a bungerlow which is a sort of low altitude version of yoyr place

No

I did this with no discernable difference, but as some pundits have said there MUST be a difference, I can't claim there was really none!

Then I fitted a hot water booster pump, and wish I'd known about them before I phatted around raising the tank

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Mike - where can I get one of these? I've used the booster pumps for 15 mm copper (mixer shower), but can't seem to find one for 22mm which I would need for hot water. My problem is similar to the OP's

ta

David

Reply to
asdfasdf

"asdfasdf" wrote in news:416b089f$0$122$ snipped-for-privacy@mercury.nildram.net:

Use adapters;

Reply to
mike ring

Thanks Set Square for a concise answer. Pretty much as I thought. There is no point in buying a larger tank. I will look at raising the tank but if it proves too difficult I probably won't bother.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy Hide

How noisy is the Grundfos?

Reply to
IMM

"IMM" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de:

Dead quiet, though it could do with having a bit more welly; but still a vast improvement

mike

Reply to
mike ring

You have this pump only on the hot draw-off. What do you do for the cold supply to the shower? That has to be pumped too.

Reply to
IMM

"IMM" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de:

Oh, dear, I wish that hadn't come up - I've got a pumped 10 kW electric shower off the cold tank form before, and I'm happy enough with it for now.

I'l get me coat now

mike

Reply to
mike ring