How to rig up a 'horizontal' jack?

It's not steel, it's an internal plywood partition but it's pretty firmly stuck in the wrong place and I don't fancy just bashing it with a mallet.

Reply to
cl

Genius!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

+1 for those as clamps, certainly quite meaty, never used them as spreaders though ...
Reply to
Andy Burns

The forces you can impart by wedging are huge. Are you sure you won't destroy a seam or joint elsewhere by further "easing"?

Reply to
Fredxx

I'm sure the fire brigade have those sort of things. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'd second a scissor jack. Does depend a bit on the amount of force required of course. I'd want to think carefully about what it's bearing against on the other side, just in case the wrong thing moves.....(I wonder how I know that...)

Reply to
GMM

A mechanical jack, incorporating a screw thread and bevel gears, will work on its side even if a hydraulic jack won't.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Mine did.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A while back Axminster were flogging an inflatable "bag" which was intended for holding and squaring door and window frames - or numerous other purposes. Suspect it could do what you want very easily - but I cannot find them on their site.

Reply to
polygonum

I'm going to take a long hard look at *why* the partition has moved before I try to push it back. I'm fairly sure it is just an 'internal' movement though as it has happened on only one side of a narrow door, so that the door jambs aren't opposite each other any more.

Reply to
cl

+1
Reply to
newshound

door slams

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sit down across the corridor. Bend your knees and place your feet against one wall. Spread your arms and brace your back against the other wall.

PUSH!

Not moving?

Get a mate to sit next to you.

Repeat until you run out of mates or something moves :-)

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

There isn't actually a door to slam, it's just a doorway.

Reply to
cl

It's really rather too narrow for this to work, except for midgets maybe.

Reply to
cl

Or, more likely, until you run out of wall for mates to lean against!

It seems to me that you need fairly fine control over the force you exert - otherwise it will move by not enough or by too much. To achieve this, a jack on its side or a ratchet clamp used in spreader mode, would be best.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Old Land Rover ones which were screw not hydraulic.

Reply to
bert

accident with formula one wheel chair and drunk driver?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I had no problem when I jacked out the back of a car after someone ran into the back of me, so that I could still be mobile until it was repaired. IIRC the jack wasn't quite horizontal, but almost so.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Or a couple of wedges and a bit of wood to make the gap.

Reply to
F Murtz