how-to: replacing friction hinges on Alu tilt window

Hi all I have a relatively small Aluminium-framed tilt window, around 2 foot (W) by 4 foot (H). The side hinges have worn out (there is a gap between the window and the frame when closed) and I would like to replace the hinges. I've bought some hopefully compatible replacement friction hinges but am a little uncertain as to the best way to proceed. It looks like the original hinges are riveted to the window sides; presumably I'll have to drill these out and re-rivet them ... do I fit the hinges to the frame first, or the window, and are there any guides out there as to how to do this sort of thing?

Thanks for your suggestions. The window is only at a low height so luckily I don't have to worry about falling off a high ladder whilst having a go at this ...

Cheers jon N

Reply to
jkn

remove opening sash remove hinges and refit new hinges to sash,have a spare pair of hands support sash in frame re rivet or screw

job done

Reply to
Alex

I did on of these and I found the whole matter much harder than I expected. The hinge was mounted in a slide way in the frame that holds it captive. The old hinge had to be drifted out from the slideway and the new hinge drifted in. The end of the slideway had been welded closed and requried that i cut the corner of the frame to allow the drifting.

Reply to
Ed Sirett