How to make someone (but not their clothes) disintegrate

Rather than an inflatable dummy, an inflatable frame made from thin tubing which you can pressurise to make rigid. Use water to pressurise it, much less volume to lose quickly.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Half-relief, probably not. I was thinking more in terms of mask+clothing sewn together as a single piece, with some stiffeners[1] and weights to make it drape/drop, which could be suspended from a single fishing line.

[1] a bent wire coat-hanger or 2 being about the limit of my thinking :)
Reply to
Robin

That does raise the question of how quickly even a smaller amount of water would drain, and of how to handle it while it was doing so and after, but it's a clever notion, thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Robin,

That's pretty close to my (3D) approach, with a head-and-shoulders form in expanded polystyrene maybe, or wire frame. I think with a single line there might be a tendency for it to rotate, but there are ways round that.

Reply to
Bert Coules

You could use many short hollow rods to make the frame, held rigid with a spring-tensioned wire up the middle, just like those wooden push-up toys...

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Clive,

A very neat idea. Thanks!

Reply to
Bert Coules

matt black string on matt black clothing shouldn't be too visible.

garden trellis. Cut in the right places to make a big lazy tong mechanism. Obviously some trelli are better at this than others. But the mechanism would have to extend under the stage or steps etc if the clothing heap is to go fully flat.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Only you can judge if the director's artistic sensibilities will accept that big a lump on the floor :)

That's a fair cop, 'guv.

Reply to
Robin

That's a bit unambitious...

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Maybe a fan inflated body and reverse the fan to collapse it?

Reply to
dennis

Bert Coules posted

The Masque of the Red Death?

The ensuing bang could perhaps be covered up by one of the cast streaming loudly.

Reply to
Handsome Jack

The Roger Corman film? I've seen it but it was a while ago and I don't recall a scene similar to what I'm trying to create. Obi-Wan's self-sacrifice in the first Star Wars film is a more recent instance.

Sorry, but using the internet is frowned on during performances.

Reply to
Bert Coules

It should be possible to rig it so it falls flatter than that. And if the mask is a solid construction rather than of cloth or similar, a certain size of residual pile would be understandable.

Reply to
Bert Coules

NT,

Fully flat isn't necessary: the robes would have a certain bulk and the mask can be solid (helmet-like) rather than cloth or similar.

Reply to
Bert Coules

That's enormously impressive, isn't it. But the time it must take!

Reply to
Bert Coules

Too cumbersome for my purposes I think, but thanks for the thought.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Suitable elastic between the shoulders and feet, attached to internal cross wires over the range to ensure it all collapses uniformly, rather than just turns itself inside out like a glove (especially if any air is trapped in the cloak).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

If the 'opening' was large enough and the volume of the frame small enough it should deflate pretty quickly, especially if assisted by some other means (elastic etc).

For the opening it could be a neck of a container (pringles can?) bonded to the skeleton that has it's lid removed by a spring loaded mech.

If it was positioned in the middle (vertically) the wind resistance over the length would be minimised?

FWIW, the air pressure in my Zodiac inflatable dinghy is ~3.6 PSI and that makes it stiff enough to support 4 people, an outboard motor and all bouncing about on the sea. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Tim, thanks for that and your previous observation.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Actually there used to be a magician doing this all the time on stage. The joke of cores was there was a flash and all that remained was the girls bikini. No idea how it was done but obviously substitution and some hidden area I'd imagine. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff