how to make new galvanized pipe look old

We are working on a project and want to make new galvanized pipe look old. Any ideas? Thanks!!

Reply to
bob8bear

sand gently let it sit out in rain for awhile rub with mud

whats the project?

Reply to
hallerb

might be easier to find someone replacing their lines, free price already aged.

Reply to
hallerb

Just prime and paint all of them. Then they will match and look much nicer too.

Reply to
scott21230

Old galvanized pipe doesn't look all that different from new galvanized pipe. Rub dirt and soot onto it.

Reply to
Goedjn

Acid bath?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
Larry and a Cat named Dub

Just wait about 40 years.

Reply to
Larry

Mix some stain into polyurethane and paint it on until you get the look and depth you desire. Choose a stain that is in the color range you want...such as something brownish-orange toned if you want a rusty look.

Reply to
USA1st

At a stained glass shop you can get a bottle of stuff called "patina" which is used to darken lead, and works on zinc too. I'm not sure that's the look you want, it will make it quite dark. If you just want to take the shine off, I would recommend a mild acid like vinegar. -- H

Reply to
Heathcliff