Toilet Seats (in general)

I am sure when I learned to use a toilet in the 1960s some of the hardware my boyish bum was placed on must have been the original Victorian Thos Crapper polished mahogany. Or maybe not but in any case it seemed to have lasted a long time. In my house these days I seem to replace a toilet seat every 12/24 months; the rubber pads fall off, the hinges break, the screws corrode or the seat itself turns out to be mdf and slowly explodes as it sucks up the piss.

Do I have to buy a new one from Harrods to get quality?

TW

Reply to
TimW

I don't recall seats in the 70s constantly getting loose and going off centre. I can't buy a set now that seems to be able to hold its position.

Always with independent hinges instead of a bar - surely bog seat holes aren't *that* far misaligned?

Reply to
Tim Watts

I replaced both in the main house when we moved here 14 years ago with what was actually B&Qs least expensive option. STWNFI liked them because they had a wooden cover over the fixings area as well as wooden seats. I liked them because they we the least expensive:-)

They are both still perfect.

We left the original in the granny annex which we then let as a holiday let for the past eight years. It is still there and still perfect with no loss of parts.

I've no idea what make it is but its as fitted by the housing association who owned the place before us and ran it as a care home.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

I seem to have no issues. My last one lasted over 20 years and only broke due to a large item dropping on one corner and cracking the plastic, which was in itself better than cracking the actual toilet, after all. Not sure about these friction soft lowering mechanisms though, Mine is almost non existent after a year. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

My toilet uses blind hole fixings and the white plastic ones that came with the seat/bog were utter crap. After a couple of attempts to fix the seat securely to the pan I found what worked for me was

(there are other Ebay/Amazon sellers - and some that include the rest of the kit which is unnecessary if replacing the existing fixings)

_BUT_ the hole in the pan was still larger than the top part of the fixing so out came my box of assorted Aldi/lidl O rings and I found some the size of the hole that fitted over the top part of the fixing. I fitted 3 off O rings to each fixing. This kept the fixing centered in the hole whilst tightening. I think this non-centering of these blind hole fixings is the reason that many become loose, and it starts the first time you sit on the seat. Once the fixing is buckled on one side or slightly bent it will never fully tighten in the correct place.

Previous to changing the toilet I did have one where I fitted a cheap real wood seat and I see that some of the sheds/argos etc. still claim real wood seats at reasonable prices.

With fixings where you can get to the back/underside of the pan to tighten/undo the nut I've always greased up the screw tread during fitting. It must be a rare household where pee or cleaning products don't seep under the fitting to form some layer of crud or corrosion that hampers removal years later.

Reply to
alan_m

I got one by Bemis (or Bremis, or something) that seems quite good. It doesn't move.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Our first "soft close" seat (maybe from Wilko) lasted about a year before it went wrong. I replaced it with one from B&Q and that is still fine after 4 years. I think the design of the soft close mechanism varies between makes and the lousy ones fail after a short time.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

My original 1976 Ideal Standard/Pampas green bog seat is going fine. The rubber pads have cracked slightly but that's all.

So all those people who chucked out perfectly good, but green bogs, basins and baths have shot themselves in the bumcheeks.

Reply to
Andrew

'We aim to please. You aim too please.'

Reply to
Scott

Stand closer. It might be shorter than you think.

Reply to
Max Demian

Having lived through the 1970s, I think Pampas was a sort of baby diarrhoea yellow.

Abscess green was more likely to be Avocado.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I'm using the original one that was fitted in about 1950 when the house was built (it's concave section, so the bones fit). OK, it's black, no lid etc., but it has a bar and stays put. I've though of changing it for a paler one with a lid but, so far, haven't managed to find a similar one. Also need to be a big opening, for some reason I can't fathom.

Reply to
PeterC

Nope. Pampas green is very green, but a lot paler than Avocado which was the colour of those carrots that posh people buy at Waitrose.

Andrew

Crikey. This one is listed as 'vintage'.

40 years old maybe, but maybe one careful (Not female) owner.

Andrew

How very true.

Something or another on our loo seats wears out or breaks almost every year and it's a dirty job to replace them.

We never seem to be able to get decent fixings.

Reply to
Pamela

FAIL!

These were supposedly the last two lines of a notice in one of the IoM ferries' gentlemen's toilets. It should actually have read:-

"and we aim to please.

Now, you aim too, please!"

If you must quote, then at least get the feckin' punctuation right! It really really does make all the difference in the world.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

I don't actually think the one I saw was punctuated. Maybe I was concentrating too much on my aim !!!

Reply to
Scott

+1

But aiming when Storm Zebedee is passing up the Irish Sea is difficult.

Reply to
Andrew

The one (from B&Q if I recollect) is still going strong after 8 years.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Once I ordered toilet seat hinges from Hafele and replaced them and refitted the seats with the old wooden parts. It was expensive and not really worth the bother, and those hinges broke as well.

tw

Reply to
TimW