How to make a "soft ping" timer?

Only once the lawyer's letter arrived and he suddenly realsed that someone without a sense of humour had seen his liner notes ...

Reply to
Huge

In message , Adrian writes

As a super reliable alternative consider one of the theme park automated players from

. They use memory cards so there's nothing to wear out.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

There's reliable and there's 'user friendly'

What we needed was some kind of a simple solution - along the lines of 'select the CD with the hymns on that you'd like to play and put it into the drive'. Everything in the right order, just press the 'go' button to play each track in the right sequence..

Even then, people manage to c*ck it up !

Regards Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

At a cheapo music shop I once saw a compilation CD of excerpts of "Modern Music of the 20th Century" or summat, which included about 1'45" of

4'33". Unfortunately it didn't say whether the excerpt was from the beginning, the middle or the end, which struck me as a bit disrespectful of the original piece.
Reply to
OG

It's always a compromise. the 5 silences and a 'silence+ding' was so that you didn't need to do too many 'skip's before you were ready.

I once built a dark room circuit based on a IC555 chip that switched on the enlarger bulb for combinations of 1 : 2 : 4 : 8 second intervals based on DIP switches to give me any combination up to 2 minutes 7 seconds - of course it was too much bother to use, so you go for 'one elephant' 'two elephant' instead! There's rarely a need to be able to discriminate between

1'32" and 1'33"
Reply to
OG

Ah, I see. I'm used to entering the track number on the remote control.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I thought they were all extracts from that LP "The Wit and Wisdom of Ronald Reagan" (Stiff Records, 1980) - 40 minutes of silence.

Reply to
Mike Barnes