How to lift plasterboard?

I'm replacing a ceiling. There is only me and my wife to lift and screw the sheets of plasterboard into place. Can anyone recommend the best way for one person to lift and hold the sheets (8 feet x 4 feet) in place while the other person screws them to the joists?

The sheets are a bit heavy for one person to hold for any length of time. Also I don't want them to buckle or break.

Is there a website somewhere with pictures of how lift and hold them in place? Any suggestions or tips welcome.

Reply to
David in Normandy

You want 2 of these:

/ Aldi do them quite regularly for only £3 or £4 Failing that 2 bits of wood that are slightly bigger than floor to ceiling height and just jam the plasterboard in.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

I use one of these :)

Tim

The easiest way is to cut a couple of lengths of 2x1 or 2x2 timber and fix a t-piece about a foot or so long across one end of each and use them as dead-men to support the board once you've got it in place, it takes a bit of getting used to but makes the job much easier if you are not used to handling plasterboard in full sheets. You can get small boards from B&Q or homebase which are easier to handle but there is a cost premium in this method.

Reply to
Franko

I noticed Aldi had some props for plasterboard for about =A36.

Reply to
chudford

Starting at one corner of ceiling see what joist the plasterboard ends at from wall you are working from then... Get some thick rope(washing line will do) nail this to the inside of the joist were the plasterboard will position halfway across the joist. Slide plasterboard onto rope and push up the other end and nail/screw into postion and do its center and then the rope end. Reapeat until you come to the stage where you will have to use two people to keep the end run of plasterboards against the ceiling.

Reply to
George

I don't thin the Aldi ones extended more than 7' ?

Reply to
George

Go the timber yard and buy two pieces of 2x2, one piece should be cieling height the other could be the width of a plasterboard.

Screw them both together to form a T and use it to prop one end up while you screw the other end,the wife can make sure the T bracket doesn't move. Saves buying props and the wood might come in handy sometime?

Reply to
George

When I had to do this many years back, I made a couple of wooden "fingers" which I clamped to the joists at the appropriate place (i.e. a plasterboard width from the current edge) then it was just a case of lifting the sheet tucking the far edge in under the fingers pushing the rest of the board up next to the already fixed sheet and fixing it.

It's much easier to use 1800x900 sheets.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Try your local hire centre. They should hire your a jack like thing that raises and holds the plasterboard under the joists. Like this

John

fully extended they're 290cm and cost £4.95 and proper metal as well...just bought one. ;-)

Reply to
George

My Aldi ones bought last year have plenty of height in them. Fully collapsed they are 4 feet. You then pull out the inner sleeve which adds another 4 feet then you can use the trigger to slide the inner rod up even further, another 3 feet I reckon.

So probably about 11 feet all in. I've done a few bathrooms with them.

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

Yes they are deceiving. Probably best to buy 2!!

I've also used them as a large clamp to clamp worktop edgings on while gluing.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

I forgot all about them till you said Aldi props. ;-)

9.5' they are extendable to.
Reply to
George

The extendible props available have been mentioned.

An old method that works well is a piece of rope and two nails. The idea is to put the rope across, forming a cradle, in a position to support one end of the board allowing the other end to be handled.

We have found that the most useful gadget is the head of the person doing the screwing and a broom with a large head held by the person on the ground.

Reply to
EricP

Nice piece of kit! Definitely to hire though rather than to buy.

Reply to
David in Normandy

Lobster

Thanks for the replies everyone. I like the idea of the fingers clamped to a joist. As I have access to the top of the joists too then I'll adapt this slightly and use two strips of timber, one just slightly thicker than the plasterboard and G clamp them to the end joist so the plasterboard can simply be slotted into the gap. I'll make and use a "dead-man" to hold the other end in place while screwing the sheet into place.

Excellent! Thanks again folks.

Reply to
David in Normandy

Check out the Boardmate at

or on ebay

Watch the video, it looks good.

dg

Reply to
dg

It must be easier these days screwing the boards up (with power assistance). The last time I used nails, and my props were a 3' piece of floorboard nailed to the end of a 2x2, barely (by a few mm) long enough to reach floor to joists, but enough to wedge the boards into position.

Reply to
<me9