How to fix wooden handrail to wall?

On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 1:48:19 PM UTC+1, newshound wrote:>

That's exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of but the rail is oval and the rail needs to be attached horizontally

Reply to
me

Drill the holes well oversized in the rail and the wall, and inject fixing resin into both holes, you can then push everything into place while the resin is still uncured.

(not entirely sure why you need to fix the very end of the rail anyway, presumably its fixed to a perpendicular wall for most of the run?)

Reply to
John Rumm

Then chose one where the pipe is about half the minimum diameter of your rail, get say a six inch length of pipe and bore into your rail to suit, securing it with a couple of vertical cross-bolts. Dome headed on top, counterbored underneath to conceal the nuts. You might want large diameter washers underneath to reduce the risk of rail splitting.

Reply to
newshound

Is this any good?

The profile of their rails is circular with a flat on one side rather than oval, but you may be able to adapt the end of your rail.

They seem to have changed the design since I bought mine nearly 20 years ago. Mine have no flange, but attach to the wall with screws on the inside before the rail is fitted. Neater if you can find any anywhere.

Reply to
Roger Mills

That's a poor angle for the photo, like an optical illusion, my brain wanted to see it inside-out.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I thought it was a poor design for a mouse's urinal.

Reply to
Clive Arthur