How to fix wooden handrail to wall?

He said he wants to terminate a handrail perpendicularly to a wall. That seems pretty clear to me. The only question is how deep a hole in the wall he is willing to make. Assuming it is a wooden rail I would make a hole chased into the masonry deep enough and wide enough to cover at least two metal brackets screwed to the sides of the rail and to the wall, and plaster over them.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

This sort of thing might be closer. You could possibly modify two to make an oval recess, or shape your pole into a 50mm circle at the end...

Clive Arthur

On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 11:34:18 AM UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:>

Yes, that's a good idea. I think this one might be even better

me

On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 11:37:58 AM UTC+1, Clive Arthur wrote:>

That's the sort of concept but it's getting one to fit my oval rail that might be difficult. I'd probably make a wooden one if I go that route

Reply to
me

I assume the OP isn't intending the handrail to be itself attached to the wall at the most rounded point on its surface. A handrail where one cannot get a grip all the way round is just an irritation.

Reply to
Tim Streater

So you want the handrail in effect poking straight out of the wall?

How long a length have you go sticking out of the wall?

Is there anything else holding it up, or is it just this one fixing on the end?

Reply to
John Rumm

Why not shape the bit of handrail that goes into the fitting so that it matches the fitting? That's the nice thing about wood, its easy to cut and shape.

Reply to
John Rumm

A photo of the stairs and wall(s) that you need to attach it to ?.

Reply to
Andrew

You can chase out a party wall for electric cables so what you need to do should be ok, unless it is an old house and the party wall is only one brick thick (possible, but unusual).

Reply to
Andrew

handrails need to be supported about every metre. How long is this length of handrail, and apart from the very end, where else and to what will the rest be attached to ?.

Reply to
Andrew

On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 12:33:07 PM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:> Why not shape the bit of handrail that goes into the fitting so that it

I just don't want to weaken the rail at all

Reply to
me

On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 12:49:01 PM UTC+1, Andrew wrote:> >

Unfortunately the party wall is only one brick thick, so really I'm limited to screwing something into the wall such as a bracket

Reply to
me

On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 12:51:03 PM UTC+1, Andrew wrote:> >

It's just under a metre and will attach to another rail at right angles to it, so it'll be supported at one end by this rail and at the other at the brick wall by one of the suggestions from above

Reply to
me

Are you going to mount your speakers on this wall ? :-)

If this wall is back-to-brick, then before you mess about with handrails, consider overlaying it with Green sound-block plasterboard, possibly with some acoustic insulation behind it, or is this rental property ?.

Reply to
Andrew

If that's all that's stopping you then how about 150mm of threaded rod resin glued into the centre of the rail?

Reply to
Robin

On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 1:37:16 PM UTC+1, Robin wrote:> >

Yes I did think of that. The problem is I only have a hand drill and I'm not confident I can drill a hole bang on the rail axis. If the rod is skewed it'd be difficult to fit into the hole in the brick

Reply to
me

Another thought is scaffold fittings. Apart from being the highest mountain in England, Scaffold Pipes are just under 50mm diameter, maybe something could be adapted.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Why not, exactly? Is the oval vertical, or horizontal (if you see what I mean). What are its dimensions?

Although this is "designed" as a base for an upright, no reason why it can't be used on a wall

newshound

The rod would be flush with the end of the wood. It would be there to strengthen the wood so you are happy to cut it to fit a circular bracket. The support would come from the screws holding the bracket to the wall.

Reply to
Robin

On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 1:48:51 PM UTC+1, Robin wrote:> >

Right, I see what you mean. I was thinking that the rod would stick out from the end of the rail and that would be fitted into a hole drilled into the wall for it as a fixing point.

Reply to
me