How to fix wooden handrail to wall?

I need to fix an oval cross section stair handrail to a brick wall. The handrail will meet the wall at 90 degrees, so think like a plastering hawk where the flat part is the wall and the handle is the handrail.

Obviously it needs to be sturdy. Any ideas?

Reply to
me

Andy Burns

1/. cover the end in lead. Knock out a half brick and mortar it in 2/. Use a U bracket or stirrup bracket 3/. make a hole in a plywood plate, screw that to the wall and glue it in 4/. car body filler :-)

You don't say what size it is, whether its inside or oute, decorative or utility, or anything.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That won't do it I'm afraid.

Reply to
me

On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 10:55:29 AM UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:> You don't say what size it is, whether its inside or oute, decorative or

It's a standard stair handrail, oval in cross section, 7x5 cm, wood. Don't really know what more to add.

Reply to
me

You haven't explained clearly what you want to do, and your reply quoted above does not help to clarify. GIGO.

Reply to
GB

Well, the obvious solution is the one that Andy posted. Why does that not work?

Reply to
GB

On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 10:59:14 AM UTC+1, me wrote:> It's a standard stair handrail, oval in cross section, 7x5 cm, wood. Don't really know what more to add. Oh I should have said the wall is a party wall so I can't do anything too heavy like knocking out bricks and so on.

Reply to
me

On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 11:01:07 AM UTC+1, GB wrote:> Well, the obvious solution is the one that Andy posted. Why does that

Because the rail meets the wall at 90 degrees, just like the platerer's hawk I gave as an example. That bracket just won't fit

Reply to
me

If you mean a fixing for the end of the handrail you have options. In addition to those mentioned by others there a connector like the one below but with the profile to match your handrail - or your handrail modified to fit.

Robin

So, this is just one end of the rail that you want to secure?

Reply to
GB

On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 11:03:53 AM UTC+1, Robin wrote:>

Yes that's the sort of thing I need, although I'm not sure I'll be able to get one with a profile that does match my oval shaped handrail. Thanks.

Reply to
me

Surely, a couple of pocket screws would work?

Reply to
GB

On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 11:12:15 AM UTC+1, GB wrote:> >

Yes.

Reply to
me

On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 11:13:36 AM UTC+1, GB wrote:> >

That would definitely work and was the way I was going to do it but I wasn't sure it would stand up to kids banging into the rail as they inevitably will. So i thought a bracket of some sort with more screw fixings would be better

Reply to
me

Is it inside or outside? Is the brick rendered, plastered or bare? None of my stair rails are oval. I cant recall ever having seen such.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

At last. Its an internal. wall and probably plastered. What's wrong with a nice wooden support under it shaped to it. Or even a whole post ...? Looking at 'oval' handrails all have a flat base to that bracket WILL fit

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's a bare brick wall, not in very good condition due to the age of the house. There will be about 1cm of plaster on it eventually to match what's already on the rest of the wall. Don't know what you mean by inside or out ... it's a stair inside the house?

Reply to
me

On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 11:27:24 AM UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:> What's wrong with a nice wooden support under it shaped to it.

Yes I think I'll just get a square of wood a bit bigger than the oval dimension of the rail, trace the cross section on the wood and cut it out to make a pocket that the rail fits into. Then fix the wood to the wall with more screws than I would be able to on the rail alone providing a sturdier attachment

Reply to
me

Well that makes it easy. Before you fit the rail screw a fishplate to the end of it with one or more *long* screws into the end grain, then screw that fishplate to the wall and plaster over it.

The Natural Philosopher