how to fix caps to timber fence posts

Has anyone got any tips please for fixing timber fence post caps in place? Is the proper way to whack a galvanised nail through or drill a hole and screw down?

Reply to
office

I think the answer to that is yes.

Last time I did it, I just put a screw or two in the top of each one. I don't think I drilled a pilot hole.

Stainless steel screws are the pukka job, but ordinary screws work and a bit of rust just adds to the patina of age.

Reply to
GB

I would warn that crap caps split apart when nailed, so best to drill a hole for the nail or screw.

Reply to
Dave W

If you're not worried about appearance, plastic cans or a bit of folded lead make more effective covers.

Reply to
harry

I prefer the proper metal ones that cover the open end and nail down from the sides. I never did understand the bit of ornamental wood on the top. Most I have seen have a couple of nails down and at an angle, but after a couple of years they start to wobble! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff