How thick cable?

Thicker the better methinks. after all you don't want it to be under road heating as well... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It would make no difference -

The limiting factors are volt drop and lop resistance.

It's one of those cases where the absolute ability of the cable to carry current without damaging itself is actually not the primary variable.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Quite a valid proposal as disconnect times on distribution circuits are rather longer than end circuits (5s vs 0.4s)

Reply to
Tim Watts

They'll run a bit dim.

That is why, although contrary to the regs, I would not bother too much about a couple of % discrepancy on the volt drop - it's not leading to an unsafe condition.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Further to other replies. If it's a public "lane", he's not allowed to do it anyway. Even if it's private and others have the right to use it there could be legal problems.

He would have to get a wayleave.

Reply to
harryagain

Or 10mm for a 4% drop at 20A which was good enough for the 16th edition.

And there are small changes to calculation Iz in the 3rd amendment with the introduction of Cmin.

Reply to
ARW

Yes, but where's he going to find 100m of red & black 10mm^2 SWA now :-P

Reply to
Andy Burns

They will last longer, be a bit redder, a bit dimmer, that's about it.

Reply to
dennis

Thanks, everybody. 10mm2 it looks like it'll be.

16mm2* sounds like it might even struggle to fit through the gulley he was planning on using to take it under the tarmac...
  • I typed 16m2 initially - that'd DEFINITELY be overkill...
Reply to
Adrian

but lots of people do. It's no less legal than overhead and probably safer.

Reply to
charles

Off a farm somewhere... this much copper needs to be fully hidden so it stays there.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

My understanding is that when you "design" a system you are obliged to take into account of the fittings used. If they can tolerance 5% then I don't see why you're not allowed a deviation. You are allowed deviations?

Reply to
Fredxxx

Only if he tells someone in authority.

Reply to
Capitol

There were some nice farm electrics in the recent episode of BBC The Ladykillers involving rats in the potato barn.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

In fact given the cost I'd look at going aluminium. Note al does need larger conductors than cu, and end connectors designed specifically for al.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Interesting thread. The expected load is not mentioned but also there seems to be no thought for either future expansion or unforeseen temporary loads. For example he might need a load of hot water and switch on two electric kettles. Just my 2d worth but if it were me I would definitely go for 16mm. Does he have a 3 ph supply? Nick.

Reply to
Nick

On the contrary, the huge cable size makes it suitable for a larger temporary load. None of the loads mentioned are very Vdrop sensitive. Uprating the cable isn't cheap.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

As has been mentioned many times in the past, the conductor colours tell you nothing since the switch-over grace period spanned the move from

16th to 17th editions. So new colours on a 16th edition install are fine as are old colours on a 17th edition one.
Reply to
John Rumm

Not that significant in this case alas where voltage drop is the driver.

Personally I would be happy designed to a 16th edition spec in this case and allowing 4% drop on the submain - that would let you squeeze in with

10mm2 cable.
Reply to
John Rumm

I suspect that heat lamps are a variant of incandescent... However being within the older 16th edition spec is not going to cause any problems.

(also note that the voltage drop figures shown in the wiki assume that the cable is operating near is temperature limit due to being at full rated load - so in cases where its been oversized just because of voltage drop, and not due to current handling capacity, there is actually more latitude that at first it would appear)

Reply to
John Rumm