How read "red digits" on gas meter

How do I read my gas meter's red digits?

I have a gas meter which is a bit like this one:

on my meter the red digits look different. After the white digits, I have go this:

(a) one red digit

(b) a zero printed on the meter

(c) a dial (like a clock face) with an arm which goes round clockwise. The dial says 0.5 at 6 o'clock and 1.0 at 12 o'clock.

How do I read these red digits?

I can not find the link between the arm rotations and the final white

Reply to
Sandi

there will be a phone number. They might think you're winding them up !

Reply to
john

Only read 6 digits from _Left_ to right

Hmmm if you are female you my need a male to first point out which is which ;-(

-
Reply to
Mark

Any fink like this?

Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

meter...

The black with white digits are the whole number. Between those and the red digits there will probably be a decimal point marked on the meter. So you write those down thus:- WWWWWWW.RR

The dial with arm is for test/diagnostic purposes. However sometimes an extra dummy digit needs to be inserted between the right most red digit and sometimes not. The need for a dummy number to be inserted will be indicated by a painted on '0'.

An arrow indicates the direction of rotation of the dial. The dial reads from 0 to 1, 0 and 1 being co-located at the top of the dial with a 0.5 at the bottom and eight intermediate markers - the value of which have to be worked out.

Lacking the painted on '0', ten rotations of the arm will cause the right most red digit to increment by 1. With the painted on '0' the arm will rotate one hundred times before the red digit increments by one.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Six? My card asks for 5 digits :)

alex

Reply to
Alex

so what ! you can get gas meters with only 4 digits, but judging from the picture the OP posted this is not relevant.

-
Reply to
Mark

Did they say it was "digital"?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

No sorry that's not like mine.

Apart from the last two digits mine is more like this.

Reply to
Sandi

If I get a card left by British Gas then all that is needed is to copy down what the gas meter display shows.

OTOH what I want is an accurate reading from the meter in order to track my gas usage.

The meter is made by Parkinson Cowan. It is halfway between these two

is a bit like the very last meter at the bootom of
but with the second 9 changed for a fixed zero.

Have another read of my original posting to see what I mean ...

--------------- ORIGINAL POSTING ------------------ I have a gas meter which is a bit like this one:

on my meter the red digits look different. After the white digits, I have go this:

(a) one red digit (b) a zero printed on the meter (c) a dial (like a clock face) with an arm which goes round clockwise. The dial says 0.5 at 6 o'clock and 1.0 at 12 o'clock.

How do I read these red digits?

I can not find the link between the arm rotations and the final white dial.

------------- END ORIGINAL POSTING ------------

The main problem is that some of the digits behind the decimal point don't seem to be all there.

The printed zero is the weird thing on the display because it almost suggests that the clockface dial has to do 100 revolutions for the previous red digit to advance!

Reply to
Sandi

Hello Sandi like most repliers have said, you don't need to read the red digits as they are not required.

If you where to send the gas supplier a reading they would not bother about the red end digit numbers its the first six digits that count.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I'm sure that made sense in your head.

Reply to
Suz

AFAIK gas meters have either 4 or 5 digits before the ".". These are the cubic metres for the gas bill reading.

Use of the pointer is outlined in the GAs Fitting FAQ below.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

The is a COMMERCIAL sized R5 gas meter. The six digits in front the '.' are cu metres.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

yes I don't have gas at home, and was basing the "6" on a factory unit that I regularly have to read and fitted with an R5 the same as the OP posted a link to.

-
Reply to
Mark