How old are these bricks?

I've just removed the plaster from a bricked up window and was
wondering when it might have been sealed. Can I tell from the size of
the bricks? they are 67 high by 225lon (don't know how wide)
Simon
Reply to
Bitstreams
On 24 Oct, 22:32, "Nick" wrote:
We're on the Bucks/Oxon borders - the rest of the building is stone - a bit like a cotswold stone in colour but very rough construction. Age is anything from 1700 to 1800 we are guessing.
Very sorry not to post a picture of a brick. Assumed that size matters more. It was only an idle question though; wouldn't want anyone to get too distressed.
Simon
Reply to
Bitstreams
You could tell more from what sort of frog they have and from any maker's markings on the bricks - usually inside the frog. However, you need to knock a few out of the wall to see that. The size does not sound particularly unusual; with mortar it would be about 3" x 9", which has been a standard size for a very long time.
Colin Bignell
Reply to
nightjar
On 26 Oct, 09:08, "nightjar" wrote:
Thanks - I don't need another window in that room so they're staying put. Was just curious.
Simon
Reply to
Bitstreams
There have been several size changes over the last several hundred years, and this can be used to get at least some idea of how old.
NT
Reply to
meow2222

Site Timeline Threads