How much to pay for a replacement hot water cylinder ?

Looking at purchasing a replacement indirect 36 X 18 hot water cylinder. Prices seem to vary wildly from £100 up to about £250. I am guessing there are heavy discounts on some of the trade catalogue prices but there is still a significant difference.

Can anyone recommend a decent make? Is it worth paying more? Do I pop down to B&Q or go to one of the trade suppliers?

Reply to
Andy Hide

Screwfix are significantly cheaper than B&Q or anyone else I've come across, at least for the few common sizes they do.

Reply to
John Stumbles

No. The ones they stock round here look poorly made.

Your local plumber's merchant should have a good one at a decent price. £100+VAT is about right.

Reply to
G&M

Go to Travis Perkins and buy a 160 litre quick recovery coil Telford Typhoon. They are cheap enough, around £150, I think. The quick recovery coil you will appreciate in the zippo hot water and they cheaper to run than normal Part L cylinders.

Reply to
IMM

Can you tell me what makes the tank a "quick recovery" tank. Is the coil inside longer or larger which in turn makes the water heat up quicker ?

Reply to
Andy Hide

Either or both: in short it has a larger surface area so the rate of heat transfer from to the water is the cylinder is greater.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

The term is cylinder.

Yep.

Reply to
IMM

Prices vary dues to different factors.

Grade 3 Part L is the minimum spec now. I doubt there are many of the older ones still around to buy.

Popular sizes are 42x18 (") and 36x18 (") and can be easily obtained for under £100.

Unusual sizes will push the price up. You can also get them made from stainless which adds a fair bit to the price but they would have an indefinate life. (Copper is about 25 years).

Standard sizes can be got from Screwfix for about the same as a competitive merchant.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Oh dear, mine has just had its 25th birthday.. I needed an excuse to upgrade to a better one :-)

Reply to
BillV

In message , Andy Hide writes

Most of the merchants seem to buy from

be worth your while taking a look there first

Reply to
raden