How much to clean a sofa/arm chair?

Hi all, I have a 2 seat sofa and armchair which are a kind of cream coloured,profiled fabric. It was originally bought from DFS about 5 years ago and had Scotchguard added. It looks a little bit grey in places though still in very good condition. How much might i expect to pay to have it professionally cleaned and is there a diy option? ta

jo

tarquinlinbin

There is. Put it in the bath, fill up with hot water, add a bucket of washing powder. Bucket the solution over the item to be cleaned. For best results you need to mimic the action of a front loader, so bucket, rest, bucket, rest, etc.

Make sure it gets 3 rinses.

Take it out to the washing line thingy. Remove top triangular part, and tie chair loosely to pole. Put a circle of polythene on ground to reduce friction. Now, standing just off the polythene, spin the chair round the pole. Each time it passes by, give it another push until its going as fast as you can get it. Its not necessary to reach 1000rpm, but the nearer the better.

Do this for 30 minutes. Slower speed means its less efficient, hence a longer spin time. You'll need a team of 20 people tro keep this up for half an hour.

Finally, tumble dry it. You need a bright sunny day and a bank. Tumble the chair down the bank repeatedly so its soft while it dries. Polythene on the ground will keep it clean.

NT

PS its not a herringbone design is it?

Reply to
meow2222

A pressure washer makes this step _much_ easier.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I would just pop them in the washing machine. Baz

Reply to
Baz

Assuming that the covers are not removable they'd cost around £100 to have professionally cleaned.

Are you 120% sure it was scotchguarded? Many sofa suppliers (Not naming names..) sell "stain protection" when you buy the sofa. This is merely an insurance policy against the sofa getting stained and nothing is added to the fabric. The sales people, however, make the sales pitch sound like the sofa is actually being treated.

If it *has* been scotchguarded the grey areas should literally wipe off the fabric. If it's not been scotchguarded then the stain will be more difficult to shift.

We had a sofa from *** a few years ago which was clearly NOT treated with a scotchguard type process despite the salesman clearly saying it had been. All we'd purchased is an insurance policy :(

sponix

Reply to
Sponix

snip> i tried this but now its so heavy that i cant get it downstairs again and i havent had a bath for a week now...

tarquinlinbin

Hire a "Vac Cleaner" from a tool hire shop near you for a day or weekend.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Worth considering buying a vax cleaner if you is going to lay out that sort of poke. ;-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I had considered this but wondered if it might totally f**k it up ?. I have a hoover wet n dry type thing already.

tarquinlinbin

problem solved then,try doing a bit on the back of the sofa and see how it works out for ya.

I done mine with the VAX and came up like new,use 1001 cleaner from the chandlers or supermarket.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I'd have though you could get a reasonable job done for around £70, maybe less. Having said that, don't go for the real el cheapo carpet & upholstery cleaners, find someone reccommended of look for a CCA or BICS member.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Cant you sit in the chair to have a bath? I should think as you sit in it, it will squish out soapy water, and the cloth will wash you all in one!

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I did mine with a Hoover wet n dry vacuum, with 1001 type stuff by hand and with the machine and neither did a very good job at all. YMMV. You could also try a steam cleaner.

-- Holly, in France Gite to let in Dordogne, now with pool.

Holly, in France