Sofa chair vs inflatable bed.

To cut the story short, one side of my 1-bedroom flat is very cold at night and the other is quite warm because it is adjacent to the building's boilers (it is a high rise council estate).

The warmer side is too small to move my bed there. A sofa chair (do they still make them?) would be ideal, so would an inflatable bed.

I had an inflatable bed last year, but it only lasted me 2 months. On the other hand, local Home Bargain sell airbeds for as little as £9 each.

There's no point in turning the heating on at night. It would be too hot and then too cold. I have an oil filled radiator but it sucks the electrics like there's no tomorrow.

What would the panel do?

SF

Reply to
Simon Ferrol

Futons are more trendy these days.

Look at folding beds or camp beds: Far less work than pumping up an air bed every night.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

, but they don't show the bed, just the chair!
Reply to
Jeff Layman

Plenty of electric pumps now.

Reply to
Rod Speed

There are multiple pictures on the "detail" page for each product. It shows the soft-bed-chair in the chair position and the bed position.

I don't know what the back support would be like, on a device like that.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

It seems it's a matter of which armchair you look at! By bad luck I chose armchairs which don't do that. See "Abbey chair" bottom left of page 2, "Arlete reclining chair bed" bottom right of page 3. Also, if you click on the product name on the selection page rather than the picture, it goes to a detailed information page of that chair, but it only has the chair position shown (eg open the "Arles chair bed" details by clicking on the name at the top of page 2, or even the Kiara bed you linked to below).

That's the problem with ordering a bed over the internet!

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Run a fan, blowing the warm air, to the colder side.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

I suspect it is radiated warmth from the building structure, rather than warm air.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I would sleep in a very cold room. Electric under blankets are cheap and economical to run. With suitable duvet and covers, why do you need it to be warm? I actually like a warm bed in a cold room.

But, I didn't think high rise flats got cold.

Reply to
Pancho

To avoid having a cold nose.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I don't experience that. How cold are we talking?

Reply to
Pancho

Too cold for me to want to get out and find a thermometer :-)

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I am ok with sleeping in a cold room. Just not a freezing one. And we are not even in winter yet.

Having to find the motivation to get up from your bed instead of daydreaming about topping yourself when it's cold as f*ck doesn't work if you have a history of psychotic depression.

Pancho:

Reply to
Simon Ferrol

If there is an electrical outlet, you have options.

An electric blanket is better than nothing, as an example.

It doesn't use nearly as much electricity, as a baseboard electrical heater which is heating the entire room.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Try IKEA.

They do more numerous sofa beds etc. Plus they deliver.

We have an IKEA folding futon thing in one of our spare rooms which doubles as Senior Managements sewing room.

It is comfortable to sit on. I’ve never slept on it but daughters have and tell us it is comfortable. It isn’t that easy to fold out but do able.

Reply to
Brian

Yes, OK as long as you do not have any back issues. Some people find them a bit low to get up from.

Is there nothing which can be done about the cold wall, as its obviously the problem area. When they redid some council flats around here, they put insulation on the inside of the outside walls and put some kind of cladding on the outside. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff