How many stairs in your house?

And I thought *I* was OCD!

Reply to
Huge

No. Whilst there is much data that I keep tabs on, I can't recall ever counting the stairs.

13

Probably what I would have guessed.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

In message , "Nightjar "@?.?.invalid> writes

This is a Victorian house, with high ceilings. 20 steps from top to bottom, including a half landing where the stairs turn 180 degrees.

Actually, this house is full of steps and stairs. There are three steps down from the front of the house, to the kitchen at the rear, then a further step down to the utility room. Three steps up to the front door, outside.

Where the main staircase turns 180 degrees, there are also four separate steps up to the rear of the house, with two bedrooms, one over the kitchen the other over the utility room. Then there is a staircase up from the utility room to the rear bedroom, but only eleven steep steps. Walking down takes some getting used to. Getting from the foot of those eleven steps to the top, the long way round, involves eighteen steps up.

Reply to
News

In message , Rod Speed writes

Well, yes, but you're Australian.

Reply to
News

Yes, 13.

I'm surprised how many people say 13. I would have guessed at 14 being the 'standard'.

Reply to
News

In message , News writes

Christopher Robin knew.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Every house I've ever counted (My own parents, In laws, Own first, second and current house and a couple of friends) it has always been 13. I assumed that this was some kind of "standard".

(Knowing how many there are makes it much easier getting down them in the dark - not so important now we live in street lit areas but as a kid it was a vital skill)

Reply to
news

I count the risers.

So, 2, turn left or right and another 2 at the sharp end and 4 over the engine 'ole.

Reply to
John Williamson

Can't be too careful, you know. Someone might have added one and not told you. ;-)

Reply to
John Williamson

Do you know how often you get out? Should it be more?

mark

Reply to
mark

I've no idea how many steps there are in my house, but I know the exact number - 63 - in my department, as I had to help a paraplegic ex-student in a wheelchair - he had a rugby accident at school - as the lifts were turned off at 7pm. (He had been invited to an evening get-together.) He was absolutely furious, and wrote to everyone involved in very strong language.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Reply to
Davey

Sounds like a fascinating building. Often the kitchens / sculleries were lo wer to enable them to be hosed down - or the place is built on a slope. I do wish the standard ceiling height for post-war housing was a bit higher than 8 feet - it can feel a bit claustrophobic at times. When we built an extension we managed to get a higher ceiling over most of it, and the roof slopes sideways so the extra height is more noticeable. If I ever build my own house, I'll go for 3 metre ceilings, even if I have to set the house lower into the ground to get planning permission ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I'm pretty OCD but I don't care how many steps in my stairs :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Nine on the new staircase, ten on the old one - both take you from the same ground level to the same first floor level, but to separate upstairses. So there.

Reply to
Adrian

No, but you can stringer me along.

Reply to
Graham.

Am I in the story of a John Buchan novel?

Reply to
Graham.

15 if I turn left to go to the main part of the upstairs, only 13 if I turn right to go to my sons room over the garage.
Reply to
Graham.

I cant even remember whether mine differ or not, even though I designed them...

I do remember that the rise didn't come out exactly right so it was either a question of a little bit steeper or a little bit less steep to get an integral no. of steps.

I also remember that the regulations are weird: if you run in more or less a spiral, you can reduce the footprint of the whole staircase enormously, BUT you end up with a very steep staircase near the axis of the spiral. The law allows that though.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher