How many plug sockets?

A three-bedroom house built today must have at least 38 sockets, more than twice as many as 30 years ago. This is set by the National House Building Council's technical standards - revised up last year from 21 sockets - which cover more than 80% of new homes built in the UK.

How many sockets do you have? (We have 68 in a 4 bed)

Reply to
Mogga

48 IIRC (10 in the computer room alone)
Reply to
Colin Wilson

84, also in 4 bedroom house. You can't have too many!

Is that counting doubles as 1 or 2?

I've got 22 in a 1990 3 bed house, mostly doubles, a few singles, and a triple. About 7 of these were added by me, and there are some places where it could do with more when I get round to it.

In a 3 bed house I rewired in 2000, there are 25, mostly doubles. That's about twice as many as it had originally (which I believe conformed to the Parker Morris standard, as that was a condition of the grant which payed for the original rewire in the early

1970's, according to the paperwork I got). The NHBC basically took over the original Parker Morris standards, although they were aimed at social/council housing originally.

In the US (some states at least), there's a rule along the lines (can't recall exact details)... An appliance with a 6' power cord must be able to be positioned anywhere around the edge of the room and plugged in, without the cord crossing any doorway. I quite like that idea.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

delivery

Or get it delivered for free

83 - 4bed house
Reply to
Tournifreak

The message from Mogga contains these words:

20 in a three bedroom. Most of them have been changed to double sockets, and there's a couple of 'trebles'. This house was built in 1948.
Reply to
Anne Jackson

How about how many not having something permanently plugged in?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My mother's house, built in 1968 with NHBC, had 7 singles, including the cooker point. The smallest bedroom had none.

Anyway, aren't they plugs, and the things you plug into them are plugtops?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In the interests of transparency/accuracy, that's counting a double as two.

80, but it's 5 bed. (and 27 UTP sockets for the network)
Reply to
Bob Eager

The message from snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) contains these words:

True and it's good. However whether you can actually USE the said appliance in the said receptacle is another question completely. No ring circuits in the US and with the low voltage it doesn't take much to use up the available current from a radial circuit to the point at which the circuit breaker trips at the panel in the basement.

Reply to
Appin

Jeezz.. I thought our 24 was enough!..seems not!...

Reply to
tony sayer

and how many three bedroom houses do you know with a kitchen AND a utility room AND two reception rooms?

OK no doubt there are some, but the normal little box does not.

Anyway, I have 8 in the living room, 4 in the kitchen (not counting the under worktop ones that the washers are permanently wired into), 6 in the master and 4 in the second bedroom. And none in the hallway which makes vacuuming it a bugger.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

it's individual sockets. so a double is 2.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

You got lucky. The 1950's house that I first rented had 1 single socket in each bedroom, 2 singles in the living room and 2 singles (plus one on the cooker switch, as was normal then) in the kitchen. Even if all the singles were changed to doubles there would still only be 15.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Ah. Forgot the two in the hallway. 82.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Lets see now....

actual sockets in the main house 39 in my indoor workshop 22 outdoor sockets 6 garage and outdoor workshop 24 summer house plus hut 5

That count includes about eight sockets into which I have had to add 4 to 12 way strip sockets for the likes of TV's and PC's etc, but the strip outlets themselves have been omitted from the count. Twin outlets counted as 2. It seems every I redecorate a room, I need to consider adding yet more outlets.

-----

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

39 3 bed house. Wiring about 25 years old with some extras.
Reply to
Ed Sirett

"tim....." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Err... This one has. But then it's an 1830s twin fronted terraced house, and probably doesn't count as a 'normal little box'.

32 doubles here = 64 sockets (I see elsethread that 1 x double = 2)

And yes, there are useful sockets in the hall (including 1 under the stairs for the colour laser printer that SWMBO hates (too big, doesn't match the decor) and soon my newly acquired NAS) and on the landing. But the number excludes the 3 doubles in the shed, not to mention the 30A outlet for the kiln and the assorted dedicated FCUs around the place...

We had the electrics revamped as part of the renovation - the power circuits were radial, so the ring final circuits are new, as is the submain out to the shed. The sparky who did the work said he'd never seen so many sockets in a small house...

Kind regards

Reply to
Richard Perkin

Counting a double as two I get about 93. Got another 24 in my workshop, and about 8 in the other outbuilding. (1956, 5 bed extended semi - re-wired once prior to our owning it, and then dramatically extended electrics since)

(However that excludes the 68 or so in my office that are on the ends of flying leads in equipment racks and on UPSs etc).

By comparison, my neighbour (unaltered 3 bed semi) had something like 16 in total before I rewired it. (he's got 70 inside and two outside now)

Reply to
John Rumm