How many drinking vouchers to core drill a tumble dryer exhaust

I have a team of builders currently on site demolishing a chimney and doing some fairly major bathroom alterations. This is all formally priced up and contracted through the parent firm.
Whist they are here I have thought it would be really handy if they could use the tools they already have been using for the main job in the bathroom alterations (ie a big core drill) to drill me a suitable hole for a tumble dryer exhaust.
This is undoubtedly "out of scope" so I was hoping to offer one of them a few drinking vouchers to do a bit of overtime for me.
If I have to DIY I will have to buy or hire kit or "chain drill" the hole.
Can anybody suggest a sum that would be reasonable for this job as a "little extra" for someone who is already on site with all of the right kit? It is on the first floor so if it cant all be done from inside work will have to be done from a ladder.
Thanks in advance for any pointers.
--
Chris B (News)

On 10/05/2019 21:35, Chris B wrote:

How long is it taking them to drill other holes?
In my experience core drilling can take an inordinate length of time but that said the last one I did took about 10 mins and was a relative joy.
On 10/05/2019 22:26, R D S wrote:

Seems to be about 30 to 45 minutes
--
Chris B (News)

On 11/05/2019 07:56, Chris B wrote:

Beer vouchers to the value of 45 minutes of your time, plus a bit because they've got the gear.
On 11/05/2019 08:15, Jim K.. wrote:

All depends on what *his* hourly rate equates to... ;)
On 11/05/2019 09:45, Jim K.. wrote:

OP
On 11/05/2019 07:56, Chris B wrote:

I'd offer him 50 quid.
In that i've drilled a fair number of these now and if I hadn't already got a set of cores i'd happily pay that to not have to do the job myself.
But then I am a lazy snowflake.
On 10/05/2019 22:26, R D S wrote:

It depends on the wall. Mine is Victorian hand made bricks and 3 bricks thick and with almost round flint pebbles in. It took the guy who put in my vent for the wood burning stove about 3 hours and 2 core drills.
It was incredibly difficult to get through because of the little pebbles jamming up the saw teeth and the bigger ones rotating in the matrix.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 11/05/2019 08:26, Martin Brown wrote:

+1
For an *easy* wall, i.e. lightweight blocks plus modern bricks I'd say £20 was stingy, £50 generous. I think I might try asking "how much for cash after the rest have gone home".
On 11/05/2019 11:52, newshound wrote: I think I might try asking "how much for

+1
--
Adam

On 10/05/2019 21:35, Chris B wrote:

Can you not ask them to give you a price for cash (nudge nudge wink wink) when they are next having a brew? Based on what you are paying for your priced up job you will know whether it's good or not.
Apparently, the taxman loses tax revenue of £5bn a year in cash in hand building work.

thanks to people like you
On Friday, 10 May 2019 21:35:51 UTC+1, Chris B wrote:

Chain drilling works but is a right pita. It leaves a messy hole that needs tidying with mortar or a collar. Core drilling takes anything from moderately quick to forever. It's quicker than chain drilling though.
NT
On 10/05/2019 21:35, Chris B wrote:

What size of hole?
Personally I would ditch the tumble drier for a condensing one. Free heat and no messy hoses.
On 11/05/2019 18:18, Fredxx wrote:

I tend to agree. You can get a condenser type for as little as £250 and half the year, the waste heat is doing something useful.
£500 gets you a heat pump type so maths time to see what the payback period would be on the extra £250.
--
Email does not work

On Tuesday, 14 May 2019 12:05:35 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:

and

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Clothes_dryer
On 14/05/2019 12:05, Tim Watts wrote:

We did.
A significant percentage of the water from the clothes ends up in the room. For some reason I don't understand it sucks in cold air from the room, heats it, dries it a bit, and blows it back out. Still warm (40?) and saturated.
It's ended up in my workshop, and I either run an extractor or a dehumidifier to save the tools.
Reading a Which? report a few years back suggests they all do that. Why don't they send the same air round and round?
Andy
On 14/05/2019 21:33, Vir Campestris wrote:

Strange - I cannot say I noticed much humidity from my old Bosch condenser which was ancient.
My Miele Washer/Dryer sends nothing into the room that I can tell.
--
Email does not work

On 14/05/2019 22:43, Tim Watts wrote:

I'm not aware of any moisture from mine. The only humidity is if I check midway where I can see steam escaping with the door open!
On 10/05/2019 21:35, Chris B wrote:

Stitch drilling doesn't take too much effort, even with 2x brick cavity. I had to knock one through in a hurry for an extra vent prior to getting a solid fuel stove installed.
--
Email does not work