Bathroom refurb, insulation?

Stripping out the bathroom, having removed the plywood to be replaced with moisture resistant plasterboard, I find this red / white material behind it. Is this for noise insulation? The wall the other side is a bedroom.

ss

We put fibreglass insulation into a stud wall in order to provide sound insulation. Not sure it was either necessary or very good at insulation. How much noise do you make in the bathroom?

According to Yahoo, the top sexual fantasy is sex in the shower, so maybe you should leave the sound insulation undisturbed?

Reply to
GB

Not particularly effective for sound insulation. But as long as the studding there isn't damp and shows no sign of rot I'd leave it as it is.

Reply to
newshound

If it's lightweight fibreglass, it'll give thermal insulation, which is seldom useful between rooms, and a little sound reduction by damping the resonant modes of the plasterboard. There are much more effective methods. See wiki.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It looks sound enough so will leave in situ.

Reply to
ss

Before you do: consider Marmox or similar instead of plasterboard.

100% waterproof, vapour barrier and adds some thermal insulation too.
Reply to
Tim Watts

foil backed PB is cheaper and just as good

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher