WC cistern innards control question

I have, in my bathroom, a WC. The separate cistern is just above the thron e. Cistern, handle, and throne are as installed while the property was unde r construction, and so should match.
The inner workings of the cistern - of the usual sort, I suppose - were pro fessionally installed as replacements about a decade ago, approximately; I have no "user and/or maintenance manual".
I understand how the siphon currently works. There is a translucent plasti c bung by the top of the blue lifter chamber, near the top; I understand th at will inhibit a much-reduced flush if the handle is not kept depressed. There are two yellow plastic apparent-bungs, one above the other, in the si de of the lifter chamber; I can only suppose that removing either of these diminishes the size of the full flush.
At the front of a blue protrusion on the side of the blue riser from the li fter chamber, there is a yellow sort-of-knob which can be turned; it is evi dently part of a spindle which goes through the blue protrusion, and the ot her end of the spindle, which is slotted, can be seen protruding at the bac k. Might that be a flush-throttle?
Comments welcome.
There's very little on WCs in the UK d-i-y Wiki, as far as I can see. The Web has a lot; but mostly about foreign systems AFAICS.
--
(c) Dr. S. Lartius, UK. Gmail: dr.s.lartius@ |

Blimey, that is more than I've got in mine! What are you trying to troubleshoot. Before twiddling things it might be good to look for wear. Is there one of those plastic washers that crack inside? Brian
--
----- --
On 10/05/2019 18:29, Dr S Lartius wrote:

Troll
Maybe but it does seem a little overkill for a bog. Brian
--
----- --
On 10/05/2019 19:07, Brian Gaff wrote:

+1
they cost ?5 ....

I'm not at all sure what "The usual sort" of cistern innards are, several designs have replaced the traditional ball-cock and siphon.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

A favourite thing for people to re-invent and patent.

how can they make money at a fiver?????

Global market?
On Saturday, 11 May 2019 19:14:27 UTC+1, jim wrote:

have you not noticed there are things in shops for under a fiver?
On Friday, 10 May 2019 20:52:42 UTC+1, Graham. wrote:

[...]

Picture of mine not available. It is the moderately-traditional ball-cock and siphon design, which flushes when the lever is pressed to raise the lif ter in its chamber. (ISTR, very vaguely, seeing an antiquated high-level s ystem in which heaving on the chain lifted a massive bell situated over the down-pipe, such that the dropping of the bell started the flush.)
The siphon is a Dudley Turbo 88 as on https://www.toiletspares.co.uk/thomas -dudley-syphons.html - actually an 88R - but those pictures show a complica tion at upper right.
The equipment is in good condition. What I do not understand is how, in my absence, my neighbour, who was cleaning the seating and the pan, using ble ach and paper, caused the pan to overflow with cleanish water - since Engli sh is her third language and she knows no technology (mobile phone excepted ), I do not know quite what she did.
Clearly there was an obstruction, which by my arrival had leaked all excess water out of the pan. So I agitated the remaining water with a sink plung er (causing a couple of pieces of paper to drift out), removed the cistern lid, pulled out the aforesaid bung, and gave the pan a half-flush - and tha t ran out through the U-bend in the proper manner.
So all is well now; but I am curious to know what the rotatable yellow part in the cistern are for; also, whether (as ISTR), when the bung is out, pus hing and holding the handle down should give a full flush.
--
(c) Dr. S. Lartius, UK. Gmail: dr.s.lartius@ |