How long can you keep scammers on the phone?

Well, half of that time was waiting for my allegedly 10 year old desktop to boot up, twice in fact because we got cut off for a 1/2 minute, during which time I turned the PC off, of course. I was asked if it was XP!!

Because I said these websites were blocked, he wanted to go through my installed programs in control panel, and I said one was Epson Scan. The not so bright operator wanted me to uninstall this, presumably in belief it was this application that was blocking access to these remote control websites.

Reply to
Fredxx

I'm not on TPS, I get less than 1 malicious call a month.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I have even less patience and replace the receiver without speaking further.

Reply to
Dave W

Same here. I often think I'd like to string scammers along, but in the rare event I get a call, I just can't be bothered.

I did get a call at work asking about my accident. "Which one?" I replied. "The accident you had." "I have lots of accidents. What date do you have?" "You have to give me details about the accident" "You're not being very helpful" I said, at which point he hung up.

Reply to
Halmyre

Didn't stop the local Conservative councillor phoning me up just prior to the last council election about 2 years ago.

We have never met, but he wanted to assure me that Horsham District Council, under Conservative control were definately going to keep weekly bin collections.

Guess what. From March 6th 2018 HDC bins will only be collected every 2 weeks.

Ok, and I wonder if the officer who pushed this through is the same lying ***khead who phoned up everyone that he could when he was desperate to avoid a UKIP candidate taking his place on the fabulous expenses gravy train ?.

Reply to
Andrew

I had a 'Number Withheld' call yesterday, which I listened to out of interest.

It was a recorded message telling me about the governments 'green deal'. I thought this nonsense had wound up ?.

Reply to
Andrew

If male, I ask him if he is totally familiar with English colloquialism and if eventually the answer is YES, then I ask him if he understands what 'F*ck Off, you lying, cheating sh*t-faced C**t' means.

I haven't heard from 'windows Technical' for some time now ....

Reply to
Andrew

Same here, though I occasionally get calls for people who used to have my number, even after two years.

(I find survey calls, where they ask questions based on multiple choices on their computer screens particularly annoying, as in "Is your age between 20 and 30, 30 and 40, 40 and 50..." Why not just ask me my age?)

Reply to
Max Demian

Are the nuisance callers moving back to snail mail? My wife received a lett er from ABC of Ashby de la Zouch this morning which started with a script " we understand you have made an enquiry about payment protection insurance". She's never had it and hasn't made an enquiry. Probably trawling through t he electoral register for addresses.

Reply to
Cynic

No it wont

he wasn't making a "marketing call" (as defined by the legislation)

tim

Reply to
tim...

No, it doesn't.

I have a new (Asda) sim which I use in an iPhone, just for data.

I have given this number to no-one

yet so far in the three months I have owned it I have had 6 scamsters call it

tim

Reply to
tim...

Who owned the number before ?

I fine Truecaller pretty effective at flagging up scammers.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

The more of their time you can waste, the less likely they are to hit paydirt with Doris and her trusting nature.

I view it as a public service.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

How do you get less than one? :-} It worked for us, that is all I can say. Come to think of it, we may get one call per three weeks.

As soon as .............. click.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

We opted out a few years ago

Did it over the phone, dead easy.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I once thought about giving one of Mrs Pounder's elderly relatives a computer to bring him into the 21st century. Then I realised that he would fall for every scam in the book.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

how the flip would I know?

I only know who had my LL before me because I get calls for them, but the mobile ones seem to be entirely random.

I didn't know it was available for a mobile.

how does it work?

Didn't get very far with the website

tim

Reply to
tim...

If he's an officer, he's not a councillor, and vice versa. Make you mind up.

Weekly bin collections is bullshit for the most part (I exclude parts of e.g. Canterbury where terraced housing fronts onto the street). Where there's room to have the bins, having food waste and landfill collected one week, alternating with food waste + garden waste + recycling the following week is perfectly adequate.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Most cold calling bastards don't care a toss about TPS and once you are on a phone list you will find that it doesn't work too well.

Reply to
alan_m

And it still works.

Reply to