How hot can lights make a wall? -UK regulations?

Hi there,

This is a fantasic group, I hope you can help me!

I wish to install lights in (commercial) holiday apartments.

The lights are 35 watt mains dichroics in an enclosed metal fitting. I want to place the lights right in the corners in some of the rooms as it gives a fantastic lighting effect!

The light fittings will be only 40mm from the walls. The lamp doesn't point directly at the wall, it is for up lighting only and the ceiling is 0.6 metre higher than the light (It is only the radiant heat from the side of the fitting which makes the walls warm.

I've mocked it up and the walls get warm but not hot. (Probably less hot than some of those ceramic uplighters with a metal backing plate that you can buy at B&Q)

Are there any regulations in the UK relating to the temperature of the walls? I'm only specifying the work and I am worried the electricians will refuse to fit them in that position as it is slightly unusual.

Regards - Lightingman

Reply to
LightingMan

Well then, you will be replacing bulbs almost daily. DO get some LV ones..the bulbs are 1/23rd the price, and last ten times longer..

in an enclosed metal fitting. I

A few..but essentially you are well inside of them unless the bulbs are hard up against something flammable.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Providing that the lights comply with BS and you follow the manufacturer's instructions with regard to minimum clearances you should be alright.

If the lights don't comply with BS and don't come with manufacturer's instructions specifying clearances, get different lights that do.

Owain

Reply to
Owain