How far travelling a Hybrid with no petrol

The Toyota device is called a "power split device".

Planet gearbox has 3 shafts.

1: IC engine. 2: Motor/gen 1. 3: Motor/gen 2 and output to diff.

The "gear" ratio is changed by the speed of Motor/gen 1.

Lt. Col. L. F. R. Fell patented a 3 differential, 4 engine power combiner used on Loco 10100.

Peter Hill

My C350e PHEV Merc has an all-electric range of about 13 miles with Eco+E-mode selected, in Hybrid mode the ICE stops and starts whenever it thinks it should (I presume/hope the oil pump is electrically driven), light braking or over-run is regenerative and the hydraulic brakes come on with slightly heavier braking. In Sport or Sport+ mode it forgets any eco pretensions, lowers its suspension, tightens its steering and uses the electric motor and ICE together to generate about 300BHP with very rapid throttle response. Overall it's a great car but it's sometimes a bit like HAL in 2001, and a longer all-electric range would be good.

Reply to
mailbin

Your 500KWh of fossil fuel energy becomes 150KWh of traction, 175KWh of heat and 175KWh of noise and other losses. That's using a very (very) generous 30% efficiency.

So that's really 15Kv at 100A for 6min.

Or 240v at 78A for 8 hours.

Can you fill your tank brim full at home every night while you sleep?

240V 32A for 8 hours is 61KWh. Chevy Bolt EV has 60KWh battery and a range in excess of 200 miles (/ day). So on high days and holidays you might want to go a bit further than 200 miles. Then you stop at a public charger and get a rapid charge in 1/2 hour.
Reply to
Peter Hill

Well gee that's useful. When I make a mistake with the cable there's only 15kV to kill me instead of 50kV. What a relief!

That's 48 hours at 13A. That's *real* practical. How many people are going to be able to rejig their whole electrical setup to provide themselves with an *additional* 78A feed, when their feed today is only

60A.

I don't need to. I could fill the tank in two minutes quite safely as required.

On busy days at Morrisons (or Tesco) there may well be 10 or so cars filling up at once. How big d'ye expect a charging station to be so that on a busy day you can just roll up and plug in for 30 mins?

A pump is occupied for a few minutes, say 5 once payment is included. You want to crank that up to 30. So you'll need 6 times as many charging points as pumps, to service the demand. So 60 charging points at, as someone upthread (IIRC) mentioned, 6MW each. You're asking the grid to supply 350MW or so to every supermarket. You really think that's practical?

Reply to
Tim Streater

As I mentioned elsewhere in this thread, the car is designed with petrol and electric systems as complements of each other. This enables each system to be optimised for the functions it's best at, rather than having to cover every eventuality as a single-mode car would be.

If you run the car with only one system operational, that system is run out of its usual operating range, which can cause undue stress. In a hybrid the petrol engine is the ultimate source of energy and the fallback system in case of problems. Running without it means the car has no option but to run the electric system out of tolerance if you make excessive demands on it (the car not being able to tell whether not responding might cause danger to the occupants; it is safe to not start but it is not safe to shut down without warning).

Theo

Reply to
Theo

There's a nice video of the parts in action here:

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Thanks. That clarifies things a lot. What is nice too is that you're not just adding weight to the standard petrol-only setup. Two electric motors are added, but you delete the starter and alternator. Looks like the gear box is effectively made much smaller/simpler too.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes with a new battery maybe. The battery makers only guarentee that the battery will charge to 70% once it's been used a while then they will rent you a new one to get the mileage back up.

The battery will be the deciding factor of whether EV's ever get taken seriously. I don't want to rent one I want to buy one and one that lasts a while too.

Reply to
Ade

Extremely efficient solar panels are what's needed.

Reply to
Ade

The cludge of these stop-start vehicles is terrible: extra heavy duty battery and starter (god knows what they will cost, I do know you need the ecu reprogrammed when you get a new special type battery). They sound terrible when you drive them too.

Prius engine is spun up so nicely in comparison, you scarcely know it has been started

Reply to
MrCheerful

I work for what was a traditional oil company - but is now a provider of 'integrated energy solutions'... we have investments in hydrogen and electric as well as fossil fuels.

The big, big challenge with electric cars is behavioural patterns.

Most people get range anxiety when they see the fuel light flashing - the reality is that this is enough to take you 40-50 miles. With the current state of play regarding home charging and battery capacity, a Nissan Leaf or similar is at 50% charge with that kind of range showing.

In order to balance demand, we're expecting consumers to be happy to jump in a car with only 40-50 miles range without worrying about it. Most people are getting range anxiety at this point.

And that's not taking into account the fact that people like to know they can make an 'emergency' long trip at short notice if they have to. It only takes one incident of not having enough charge to get to visit a relative on death's door or not being able to take a beloved pet to the vet for people to get into a really negative place with regards to vehicles that cannot be 'recharged' in a few minutes at the local supermarket etc.

And where's the sense in carrying half a tonne of batteries just to drive a few miles to work and back? Remember, that half tonne is there all the time, doesn't matter if you have 200 miles or 2 miles range, you still carry it.

Hydrogen seems sensible - you can make it on site (yes, you need a big electric cable - but so does a forecourt of charging stations) - you can fill a lightweight kevlar / carbon tank in minutes and get 500 miles of driving with only water / steam as the tailpipe emmissions. The beauty here is that you can produce a hydrogen and battery version of the same car with minimal changes (swap batteries for a fuel cell and tank - the propultion method is the same) - so you can serve 2 markets with the same base vehicle.

Reply to
Steve H

[snip]

The apparently waste heat generated by the IC engine is a serious point. Most days in the UK heat in the passenger cabin is a necessary safety measure.

It's very difficult to drive safely while wearing sufficient bulky outdoor clothing that would keep the driver warm while being almost totally inactive - by contrast a pedestrian walking briskly will keep warm in a typical UK winter with only light outdoor clothing.

Also heat is needed to maintain a warm dry airflow over the screen to ensure good visibility.

Providing heat for these requirements - even if the vehicle is spectacularly well insulated - will be an additional drain on an electrical vehicle.

By contrast cooling from an air conditioning system isn't really necessary in the UK. There are of course a few days most summers when it's nice to have ...

Reply to
Graham J

I never turn the AC off.

Reply to
MrCheerful

A Plug in Hybrid can be charged at home from the mains (optionally) An "ordinary" hybrid is charged soley fromthe petrol engine.

Reply to
harry

It's called a PHEV. Plug in Hybrid Electric Vehicle.

Eg:-

harry

Tsk Some have heat pumps/reversible AC.

Reply to
harry
[snip]

With a well-designed system you should not need to. Using a Variable Displacement Compressor the load on the engine will be minimal in all but hot weather. Even on sunny days in winter the interior of the car may get quite hot while parked, so the compressor will circulate refrigerant at a reasonable pressure for a few minutes when the engine is started, thereby ensuring the moving parts in the compressor are properly lubricated.

Most cars have a sensor for incoming air temperature and this will disable the compressor operation at about 4 degrees C to ensure that the cooling system does not ice up.

With an older fixed displacement compressor the load on the engine when the compresor is running probably represents about 5% drop in mpg for a UK car. But some years ago I drove a small American car in the USA where the a/c load slowed the car significantly and it would not go up hills - there it probably represented 50% drop in mpg !!!

Reply to
Graham J

I couldn't agree more. We have it on one of our cars but (fortunately) you can turn it of. It is the first thing we do after starting the engine.

Besides concerns over the 'wear and tear' there is a noticeable delay which is a pain at roundabouts etc.

Reply to
Brian Reay

That *is* a prius engine, not a stop/start "BIK reduction" engine.

Reply to
Andy Burns

What do you mean by "Extremely efficient solar panels"?

Reply to
Tim Streater