How do you use crutches?

As someone else said, are you finished yet? Are these imponerably long replies some kind of ego trip?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

A close friend's wife had a knee replacement op on this past Wednesday

- cut the knee open and S/S inserts top and bottom, etc. (without general aneasthetic). Home on Saturday, out walking with sticks - not crutches - for 15 mins on Sunday in the local park. Stairs are no problem it seems.

Don't be a woose :>) .

I suspect that ironically a bad sprain is possible more painful. My wife went over a step some years back and the ankle swelled up enormously; she went to A & E, checked it over and signed her up for immediate physio which was great rehabilitation.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I do live alone. However the girlfiend only lives two streets away and my next door neighbour has done my shopping for me!

Thanks

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Is that out of sympathy, or fear ;-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

No bad neighbours on my street since the dickheads moved out. The one that did the shopping for me was the one that last year posted his house key and a note asking me to feed his cat as he had chopped a finger off:-)

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

one crutch only - on bad leg side ... bad leg first going down, good leg first going up ..... hold on to banister

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Andy Burns

You of all people should know what to do with a crutch :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Sit on 2nd bottom step. Put good leg on bottom step, hands on 4th step, lift bum to third step.

When you get to top shout for wife to bring crutches. Or bring them with you, but it'll be clumsy.

You should be OK doing that with a sprain that hurts with weight.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Don't tell me matey found out who put that car outside his house ;o) Seriously though, I hope it clears up quickly.

Reply to
Tinkerer

them?

I have my crutches up in the loft - from a skiing accident 25 years ago

Reply to
geoff

Please give to the NHS. Or return them, as the case may be. A little off our tax bills!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

How are you going to get them when you next need them? ;)

Reply to
Clot

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Champ saying something like:

Those days are gone. H&S fears means they chuck them in the skip.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Bought them in Austria

I'm hanging on to them, as I shall need another knee op in the near future

I really don't think there's a mechanism for taking them back

After my father died, there were various items - catheters etc which my mother tried taking back to the hospital (still sealed and boxed up) - they weren't interested

Reply to
geoff

treating

Nasty. I think I would have been jumping up and down to sue the hospital for something.

No chance of that with my x-ray, the one taken side on looked OK, until you spotted the tiny chips of bone at the impact site but the one taken looking from the toes to ankle even I could see the fracture when I was 6' from the light box. IIRC I said to the radiographer "That's not supposed to be like that is it?"...

One can only assume it was a small hairline fracture and that is why it was missed, still not an excuse though. If they had been away for even a week or two that would have been too long to do much. Assuming

4 or 6 weeks then it'll have almost completely healed.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'll ask Adam how to climb stairs when you're a crip - he'll be an expert by then

or ...

send the missus up to get them

Reply to
geoff

Aye, I took the ones I had back but it was clear they didn't really know what to do with them. I can understand the H&S aspect as they don't know what sort of treatment they have had but I should imagine that it can't be that hard to send them to a place that checks 'em over and refurbishes for re-use. Or even if they don't want to do that, collect for the scrap ali and recycle them that way.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

that caused me some mirth :)

Reply to