How do urinal cisterns work?

In article , Zikki Malambo writes

I've got it. The one, final difference between men and women. I know now what it is. SMELL. Who would have known? I thought there might be some deep spiritual wiring that made women as mysterious as they are, and men as clueless, but no. It's all a matter of odors. I lay out before you my new theory: Given 1: Women smell good. Whether by nature or by their own cunning device, women just smell good. I've often asked female friends to just roll around on our carpet to leave a pleasant odor in our apartment though I haven't had any takers. And why do they smell so nice? I don't know. The better question is why won't they roll around on my carpet? Given 2: Men smell bad. We try, you know. We do shower daily. Most of us even use soap. But the odors are unstoppable (though likely we're just re-applying them after the shower by using that dang stinky towel we forgot to wash AGAIN), whether they be sweat-, breath-, or flatulence-based stenches. Given 3: Women like nice smells. Go to the mall. Count the number of "Bath and Body," "Fragrances R Us," and "Candlerama" stores. There is no limit to the number of smelly-good things that women will collect and enjoy. Given 4: Women DON'T like bad smells. We're getting to a point, honest. What do they say when there's a foul odor emanating from a suspicious room? "Eww, don't go in there!" What do men say? "Eww, dude, get a wiff of this!" That brings us to... Given 5: Men like smells, period. If it smells, it's A-Ok by us. Cinnamon rolls, bacon, pizza, GREAT! Perfume, incense, mint, AWESOME! That's pretty clear. But even if it's nasty, there's an entertainment value that leaves us just giggling like school girls "Dude, that REEKS! [insert giggle here]"

Now then, taking these basic given facts, do we see the underlying psychology that would naturally come into play as each gender fulfils its odour-roles? I'll delineate further: John smells Suzie. She smells good (1). He likes odor (5), so he wants to spend time with her, as she provides an abundant source of odor. Suzie, in hopes that a relationship will mean a plentiful supply of roses (nice-smelling ones) and sweet-smelling chocolate and excuses to wear perfume (3) , accepts an offer to spend time with John. The First Date. Later, Suzie is dismayed that her supply of nice odours has not come, and she's spent time with a stinky, stinky boy (2,4) without being properly rewarded. She suggests a chance to spend more time with him, but he wants to play sports he knows that it will mean getting sweaty and stinky, and stinky is a smell, and he likes smells (5)

The Conflict. Among the options available at this point is a home-made dinner by Suzie. Lasagna, French bread, Martinelli's Mormon Champagne a virtual feast of odours. Overwhelmed by the sensation of so many odours, John becomes a docile addict, giddily bringing sweet-smelling gifts to Suzie. Resolution #1. Another option: Dump John's stinky self and move on to Bill, with a new perfume that will surely entice him to bringing her the requisite fragrant gifts. Resolution #2. Another option: Forget trying to squeeze sweet-smelling water from a big stinky rock, and go home with some Ben & Jerry's and watch "Scents and Sensibility." Resolution #3. Doesn't it all make sense now? Can we see the way the problems in relationships could be solved by the proper conveyance of odours? She's mad? Get flowers. He's distant? Get perfume. I'm a genius.

Reply to
zaax

Probably because it smells.

Many of you don't seem to understand that you don't just need to wash, you need to put on clean clothes. An anti-underarm would help too ...

But you still make smells ...

I like that one.

That's a man's choice.

So why do you still smell?

Mary Thanks for a nice post :-)

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You should smell a man-who-has-eaten-asparagus's urine, if you think that normal men's urine is bad.

Reply to
Googolplex

I've heard that but it doesn't affect Spouse. Or me. I understand that it's genetic, but don't quote me, I have no evidence.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

According to Harold McGee's superb "On food and cooking - the science and lore of the kitchen" it was long thought to be a genetic trait that determined whether you *produced* methyl mercaptain in urine after eating asparagus, but it now seems to be a genetic trait whether you can "*detect* the smell or not.

-- LSR

Reply to
LSR

It does me. However, opinions vary on cause and detection

Andy Hall

Ah - so genetics are involved somewhere along the line.

Possibly.

:-)

Thank you!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Well well well!

Isn't it amazingwhat you learn from thread drift!

Thank you, it seems we can have it both ways :-)

But it doesn't answer my first question ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I don't think anyone answered the question in the title either....

Reply to
Eiron

Oh bugger that, mine was a serious question!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

To answer your question Mary.......

I imagine men face something for the same reason that ladies sit with their legs together....because someone taught us to.

I would also suggest it's for modesty/privacy/to reduce the possibility of getting hauled before the courts for exposing yourself.

Reply to
Zikki Malambo

Eh???

I don't remember that ...

Yes, but a man in a wide open space with no-one around will find a shrub or tall grass. I suspect it's more about practising their aim ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

So does a male dog and a tom cat.

I suspect it's more evolutionary. The men that didn't do this probably all got their dangly pieces bitten off by some passing animal, so they would have died out pretty quickly. Darwin at work...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes, I meant to add that.

Fancy at work :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On a more serious note.....

Zikki Malambo

Hmmm.

Took a long time to load, I got fed up of the introductory screens but I persevered - for what? It didn't tell me much except that Yates Wine Lodge suffered from blockages.

The system doesn't address the fact that men miss.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Take a look at this. I think that all will be explained.....

Andy Hall

Bursts of energy are avoided or reduced to an absolute minimum. Males are especially lazy and waste no effort on territorial defence or social interactions.

They avoid energy sapping confrontations by scent marking, which maintains a physical distance between individuals.

Males even urinate against trees while doing handstands; the higher the pee the more dominant the signal.

That I'd like to see, I assume it's restricted to the hidden mysteries of the GENTS.

No wonder it smells ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

All together everybody

"Take yer 'and off of yer 'apenny, and i'll give you a lovely surprise!"

Reply to
Zikki Malambo

Oh - I never heard that!

Nobody ever said it to me :-(