How do I remove glued-in headset drivers (tiny speakers) from my headset?

Gentle application of heat can often work - many assembly line glues are types of hot glue (hand because there is no curing time - once its cooled off its set). Some modern phones / laptops etc are very fond if it!

They would just replace the whole unit.

Reply to
John Rumm

Wonder what happens to power tools etc Lidl and so on get as warranty returns?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I hadn't thought of applying heat and you may be right but as I really want to keep the driver in one piece I think the glue on the drivers would also be affected, no doubt to their detriment. As I mentioned above I tried IPA and it does soften the glue slightly but the gap between driver and surrou nd plastic is so narrow there's no way to remove the glue even if softened.

And having now removed a driver from another faulty unit by drilling and gr inding the surround lip away with a 1mm drill bit (because I don't have a D remel which would have made life easier), I realise these units are definit ely not made to be repaired, only replaced as you say! But at least now I h ave a way to remove the drivers and can proceed with the repair.

I'd be willing to bet though that someone who really knows their plastics a nd glues would be able to come up with a suitable solvent.

Reply to
me

I'm surprised you can source a new driver if it's not designed to be replaced?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)