How do I remove glued-in headset drivers (tiny speakers) from my headset?

I've got a surround sound headset which needs a driver replacement. The problem is that they're firmly glued in. The surrounding plastic is ABS and I'm guessing the main body of the drivers probably is too.
So is there a particular solvent to loosen the glue that doesn't affect ABS? I'm assuming they are removable or else how would the manufacturer replace them under warranty?
And before you say it, yes I have tried to tentatively lever them out but they're not going to last long doing that. The drivers are really fragile and really firmly glued in.
Pic of drivers: https://imgur.com/a/0zV4G
Thanks for any suggestions.
On 27/10/2017 16:01, me wrote:

"I'm assuming they are removable or else how would the manufacturer replace them under warranty?"
They just give you a new headphone. >
On Friday, October 27, 2017 at 4:05:32 PM UTC+1, GB wrote:

problem is that they're firmly glued in. The surrounding plastic is ABS an d I'm guessing the main body of the drivers probably is too.

ABS? I'm assuming they are removable or else how would the manufacturer re place them under warranty?

ut they're not going to last long doing that. The drivers are really fragil e and really firmly glued in.

Well for this model they won't because it's no longer made. But, in general , do you really think they'd just swap out a brand new headset (cost £ 130 retail) rather than replace one broken driver?

Can you buy a single earpiece complete and replace that?
--
*I'm pretty sure that sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.

By "earpiece" I assume you mean the whole assembly and the answer's no as they're no longer in production. But even if I could I'd still rather replace just the broken driver if I can find a way to unglue it!
On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 09:46:47 -0700 (PDT)

Just carve it out with a sharp blade. Or buy a headset on eBay that has failed on the other side ...
On 27/10/17 18:08, Rob Morley wrote:

...you don't even have to be tidy about it: treat the faulty driver as totally sacrificial and concentrate on preserving the chassis.
Nick
On Friday, October 27, 2017 at 7:00:41 PM UTC+1, Nick Odell wrote:>

You're not wrong but I really want the driver out in one piece as I intend to repair that as well!
On 27/10/2017 20:29, me wrote:

Repair it in situ?
On Friday, 27 October 2017 16:24:30 UTC+1, me wrote:

al,

130

Yes, because these things don't cost them anything close to £130 and t hey come ready glued together from China and are not designed to be disasse mbled.
It'll just get passed up the line from retailer to manufacturer with each o ne giving credit to their buyer until China send out a relacement container load for a tenner each.
Owain
On Friday, October 27, 2017 at 5:00:21 PM UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote: ...they come ready glued together from China and are not designed to be disassembled.

Where there's a will there's a way. I have the will, now I just need to find a way.
On 27/10/2017 17:51, me wrote:

Cut the driver to bits with a Dremel, then lever it out with a craft knife? Stick the new driver on top of the old one?
On Friday, October 27, 2017 at 5:58:15 PM UTC+1, GB wrote:

Yup, that'll probably work and at the moment seems like it might be the only way. On further inspection the glue looks like superglue and I tried a bit of IPA on it which sopftened it so a long enough soak might enable me to lever it out (eventually!).
On 27/10/17 18:28, me wrote:

superglue is only softened by acetone, and nitromethane
which will take out most plastics
On Friday, October 27, 2017 at 8:09:05 PM UTC+1, Tjoepstil wrote:

I don't know though. I found a page that suggested IPA for softening superglue where acetone would otherwise melt the plastic. It looks like superglue, I tried it, it softened.
Now I just need something very very thin and sharp and stiff to get into the tiny gap to remove the softened glue.
On 27/10/2017 20:33, me wrote:

Victoria Beckham!
to get into the tiny gap to remove the softened glue.

On 27/10/2017 17:00, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

As Owain says. Most things are designed for easy manufacture, which often means difficult repair.
On 27/10/2017 16:24, me wrote:

Yes.
On 27/10/17 16:24, me wrote:

yes.
because the actual cost is probably nearer £15
I was not aware they could be fixed. I suspect they bin them if failed under warranty and send out new ones. Brian
--
----- -