How do I remove glued-in headset drivers (tiny speakers) from my headset?

I've got a surround sound headset which needs a driver replacement. The problem is that they're firmly glued in. The surrounding plastic is ABS and I'm guessing the main body of the drivers probably is too.

So is there a particular solvent to loosen the glue that doesn't affect ABS? I'm assuming they are removable or else how would the manufacturer replace them under warranty?

And before you say it, yes I have tried to tentatively lever them out but they're not going to last long doing that. The drivers are really fragile and really firmly glued in.

Pic of drivers:

Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply to
me

"I'm assuming they are removable or else how would the manufacturer replace them under warranty?"

They just give you a new headphone. >

Reply to
GB

problem is that they're firmly glued in. The surrounding plastic is ABS an d I'm guessing the main body of the drivers probably is too.

ABS? I'm assuming they are removable or else how would the manufacturer re place them under warranty?

ut they're not going to last long doing that. The drivers are really fragil e and really firmly glued in.

Well for this model they won't because it's no longer made. But, in general , do you really think they'd just swap out a brand new headset (cost £

130 retail) rather than replace one broken driver?
Reply to
me

Can you buy a single earpiece complete and replace that?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, because these things don't cost them anything close to £130 and t hey come ready glued together from China and are not designed to be disasse mbled.

It'll just get passed up the line from retailer to manufacturer with each o ne giving credit to their buyer until China send out a relacement container load for a tenner each.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

By "earpiece" I assume you mean the whole assembly and the answer's no as they're no longer in production. But even if I could I'd still rather replace just the broken driver if I can find a way to unglue it!

Reply to
me

On Friday, October 27, 2017 at 5:00:21 PM UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote: ...they come ready glued together from China and are not designed to be disassembled.

Where there's a will there's a way. I have the will, now I just need to find a way.

Reply to
me

Yes.

Reply to
GB

As Owain says. Most things are designed for easy manufacture, which often means difficult repair.

Reply to
GB

Cut the driver to bits with a Dremel, then lever it out with a craft knife? Stick the new driver on top of the old one?

Reply to
GB

Just carve it out with a sharp blade. Or buy a headset on eBay that has failed on the other side ...

Reply to
Rob Morley

Yup, that'll probably work and at the moment seems like it might be the only way. On further inspection the glue looks like superglue and I tried a bit of IPA on it which sopftened it so a long enough soak might enable me to lever it out (eventually!).

Reply to
me

...you don't even have to be tidy about it: treat the faulty driver as totally sacrificial and concentrate on preserving the chassis.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

yes.

because the actual cost is probably nearer £15

Reply to
Tjoepstil

superglue is only softened by acetone, and nitromethane

which will take out most plastics

Reply to
Tjoepstil

On Friday, October 27, 2017 at 7:00:41 PM UTC+1, Nick Odell wrote:>

You're not wrong but I really want the driver out in one piece as I intend to repair that as well!

Reply to
me

I don't know though. I found a page that suggested IPA for softening superglue where acetone would otherwise melt the plastic. It looks like superglue, I tried it, it softened.

Now I just need something very very thin and sharp and stiff to get into the tiny gap to remove the softened glue.

Reply to
me

I was not aware they could be fixed. I suspect they bin them if failed under warranty and send out new ones. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Victoria Beckham!

to get into the tiny gap to remove the softened glue.

Reply to
GB

Repair it in situ?

Reply to