How do I get a gas main installed?

It was probably only a £400 job but actually met you. :)

Reply to
IMM

That is highly unliklely. But! In some areas they don't like pipe up the side of the building. So the may give you your own meter "outside" the front door. Then you run in your gas pipe to your flat. The regs are strict when running gas piopes through common areas. You may require 1/2 hour fire ducting is required around the pipe.

I once did this for a friend and he saved a fortune. I did it all with live gas. I don't sugget you do it, as it is naughty. I left a 1" mains pipe in the flat above and the supplier just connected the meter. They didn't know who did it and didn't care.

Reply to
IMM

Unless you know what you are doing, leave it out. You will be working with live gas.

Reply to
IMM

Risers will always be iron. The pipe from the road may be plastic up to a few inches above ground.

Reply to
IMM

No it's not unfortunatley. Transco is being split up and is now part owned by Scottish & Southern Energy.

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

Are you saying you cut into a live gas main and worked on the pipework as it spewed out gas??

David

Reply to
Lobster

Yep. There is a technique of doing this. Gas only escapes for a few seconds. It requires two men, so if a problems one can assist. Not for DIY, so don't even think of it.

Reply to
IMM

Would you consider doing it for me? Where are you based? Please email me on: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (remove the 'cat')

Jimmy

Not so! In our road they pulled a plastic pipe through the iron pipe all the way to the meter - using a special fitting to seal the plastic to the iron just below the tap.

Reply to
Set Square

Based on IMM's escapades - as described in other threads - I wouldn't let him *anywhere near* any installation of mine! I think you will find a general concensus on this in this NG.

Reply to
Set Square

It cost me £171, and I considered it good value. The gas main is the other side of the road to my property. They dug a hole both sides of the road, halfway across my lawn and again at the house where the meter was to be installed. They then "moused" the pipe between these holes, fitting the meter inside the box they supplied and I fitted. They filled in the holes and left. 6 weeks later they turned up, unannounced to make good the holes. This they did leaving the pavement and lawn in good fettle. They even replaced a broken path slab, which I told them they had not broken. The total distance was about 25 metres. I know it is the thing to knock Transco, but speaking as I found they were excellent.

Reply to
Broadback

"Risers". That is a pipe rising supplying gas to either one or a number of premises. A riser up the outside of building supplying gas to 3 flats will be iron.

Reply to
IMM

No thanks.

Reply to
IMM

A consensus of pure amateurs, of which many are know-it-alls.

Reply to
IMM

No need to worry - he'd put two pipes in so that if one leaked, the other could take over :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Positive thinking. Nice to know your mind is expanding. In fact I did that with a supply to combi. The existing gas supply from the meter was not big enough as supplied 40,000 BTU/hr boiler. It was great inconvenience to uprate the supply. So, I teed off the hob supply and ran that to the boiler position from another direction.. So, one pipe from the meter, that tees off to the combi and hob and back to the boiler from the hob. The supply was then adequate, with minimal disruption.

Reply to
IMM

So now you're a pro gas fitter, so a member of CORGI?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks for the inpu. How long ago was this? J

Reply to
Jimmy

Have you got a death wish?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, no-one *forces* you to mix with us!

Reply to
Set Square