Gas supply

How do you find out what the maximum flow rate of your gas supply is?

I heard somewhere that it's about 6 cubic metres per hour.

The "calorific value" of my gas is 39.4 according to my bill. Took me a while to work out it was megajoules/ cubic metre.

Shouldn't it say on the bill what the maximum capability of the supply is?

6 m3/hr gives me 65 kilowatts which tallies roughly with Andy Hall's figure given earlier.

M.

Reply to
Markus Splenius

It doesn't and only gives calorific values so that you can relate volume to kW to have a comparison with electricity.

It's defined by the meter and pipe size.

Reply to
Andy Hall

My meter says 212 cu.ft/h - which equates to about 67 kW.

However, I don't know whether the pipework can handle that flow - particularly since they lined the original iron domestic supply pipe with a much smaller bore plastic pipe. [It's probably ok since the original pipework was designed for Town Gas - rather than Natural Gas - at a much lower pressure and calorific value.]

Reply to
Set Square