How common is TN-C-S household wiring in the UK with combined PEN

329 million or so I thought, compared to our ~66M
Reply to
John Rumm

There is NO 110V power in North America - see my previous post in this thread ( this is like saying UK has 220V power)

"the hot wire" does this refer to the lower 120V having a higher current per watt or something else?

Aluminum wiring was only installed in mid 1960's to early 1970's and very rarely in proper dwellings, primarily mobile homes which were/are cheap manufactured housing that cut every corner possible.

Yes, we do have a generous supply of Homer Simpsons, although if Youtube is any indication we do not have a monopoly on them. All domestic wiring systems should be designed to be safe when in use by Homer.

Remove SPAMX from email address

Reply to
Jim Michaels

In America N&E has NEVER been used for general circuits.

There are only two places it could be used. an Electric Cooker 50amp (or 40 or30) or an Electric Clothes Dryer 30amp.

This isn't as bad as it sounds, these are Line, Line, N&E 3 wire circuits The load is mostly Line to Line 240V, the Frame is connected to the N&E, and 120V loads are connected Line to N&E. The 120V loads MAY include the motor in the dryer, Clock and control timers, light bulbs, and on some older cookers elements may be connected to 120V for very low heat. These N&E wires must run directly to the MAIN distribution panel and are of course fairly large conductors.

This has not been allowed for new installtions for the last 20 years. They are now Line, Line, Neutral, Earth 4 wire circuits. In any situation where there is an intermediate Distribution panel they always required a 4 wire circuit. (although Homer Simpson did wire some wrong, not understanding the distinction between the MAIN panel and an Intermediate Panel)