Gold finish outside handles pitting.

All of our window and door handles are a gold finish, I noticed the ones outside have begun to pit a little. I have cleaned them up with Autosol, but what would be a good way to protect them in the furture please?
For now - I came across an heavy waxy cloth in plastic bag, as sold by those door to door people and gave them a good wipe down with that.
On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 10:35:14 +0100, Harry Bloomfield

Had a similar problem in my last property - brass, or perhaps just brass-finished exterior door handles corroding in the salt air. I cleaned and polished them, then varnished them. Eventually the varnish needed re-doing where it wore off due to regular handling, but it was OK for several years.
--

Chris

On 18/06/2019 10:35, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

If you buy from door to door salespeople I have some snake oil that you can purchase.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

alan_m laid this down on his screen :

Thanks, but no I don't buy from them - I found it in a cupboard, where it had probably been for decades.

Are there any left apart from Nottingham Knocker chancers?
Kleeneze in the pre Internet ,pre eBay age sometimes had something useful if you lived out in the sticks and couldn’t get to the shops but became very uncompetitive once perusing and buying online arrived. We occasionally bought something from the Kleeneze woman who used to call, more out of sympathy than need but now they have gone bust we don’t need to do that any more. The other that used to call wayback was Betterware ,the name now seems to belong to a very basic website with similar offering to a pound shop.
Still the Coopers of Stortford catalogue dropped in this morning in case we have a sudden desire for a special brush to clean an elephants trunk and another for its bum.
GH
Duraglit? Those metal polosh impregnated bits of cotton wool. Brian
--
----- --
Actually, these particular things are more of a wax polish than anything else. I'm sure you could make your own if you wanted. If it is brass, say lacquered then you need to revarnish I'd imagine or the holes will first go that horrible brown green colour as they oxidise. Brian
On 18/06/2019 10:35, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

spray or paint on cellulose lacquer

--
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered...
...than to have answers that cannot be questioned