How can I rid my house of spiders?

I bought a house a few months ago, and it seems I've moved into a spider zone! Call me a sissy if you will, but I can really do without spiders in my house. On the other hand,. I don't like spraying poisonous substances around. Is there any other way to keep a house spider-free? Are there any spider-eating pets that might do the job?

Thanks

Al

Reply to
AL_n

"AL_n" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Not just you - there seems to be a LOT of 'em about this year. 'ickle ones, but webs everywhere.

You prefer flies?

Reply to
Adrian

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 20:41:39 +0000, AL_n boggled us with:

A cat. My cats love eating spiders and just about any other insect that comes in the house.

Reply to
Mike P

It's just the time of year. Particularly in rural-ish areas.

Give it a few months and they will be gone.

I've never managed to spider-proof the kid's rooms, but they have gotten used to it. I've reduced the spider-count by filling as many cracks / holes as possible, but it's not 100%.

They just tell me, and I escort the spiders outside to do their spidering there.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Mike P wrote in news:i6rbde$o4c$3 @news.eternal-september.org:

You are really lucky to have a cat that can see them! My cat, who died last year, could never see apiders. Contrary to common belief, cats usually have rather poor eyesight at close range. Yours may be the exception.

Al

Reply to
AL_n

Adrian wrote in news:8fcpheFt7U1 @mid.individual.net:

We don;t seem to have many flies where I live, but we certainly have spiders. That's interesting what you said about it being a widespread phenomenon this year.Hopefully next year will be different.

When I was younger I was utterly terrified of spiders. That phobia has diminished slightly, now that I'm older and more battle-hardened, but I'm not by any means free of the repulsion. Luckily, most of the ones I'm encountering are the very spindly grass spiders. I find them much more tolerable than the big house spiders that typically end up in your bath.

Al

Reply to
AL_n

"AL_n" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

That's because the spiders ate 'em all...

Reply to
Adrian

Ron Lowe wrote in news:i6rbk9$nb0$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal- september.org:

Filling the cracks is a good idea. Trouble is, as soon as you open a window for ventilation, they sneak in!

Al

Reply to
AL_n

It would see a moving spider.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Can't imagine why anyone would want to, but the answer is called a vacuum cleaner. They are quite good for cleaning your house you will find. (The right nozzle will even catch flies on the wing that you will be complaining about once you have done for the spiders.

Incidentally house spiders are not doing well, I saw my first T gigantea of the year yesterday, and it is likely to be the only one I do see - it was male so it may be completely the last.

Spamlet

Spiders are very beneficial to the house. If you get one that has dropped into the bath, lay a layer of toilet paper down into the bath with at least 3 layers hanging over into the bathroom. If you are are up to to it, tickle it with a toothbrush handle until it has a foot on the toilet paper and then leave it for an hour. You will then find it gone.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

We are inundated with fruit fries, but not spiders. Only seen 2 come indoors so far.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Foam and calk all your cracks. Check door seals and window trims.

Reply to
Airport Shuttle

Try:

John Rumm

Interesting that. We have a visiting cat, that we keep a few of those small treats for, which I simply drop onto the kitchen floor from a great height and let him search for them. He's useless at it, but doesn't generally seem to have any problems when getting around outside.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

fruit flies? ? or common country shit flies?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

IME garden spiders either come in with the washing, or you walk past their web and bring them in on your clothes. Either way, they don't want to be indoors any more than you want them there. I wouldn't say it's a job I like but, if you put your hand over them, they go into play-dead mode and you can just pick them up. The bigger they are the easier that is :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

You can send them to me and I will give them a home in my shed.

I have some really big (not exotic) spiders and they are interesting to watch as well as being harmless.

I have a house spider that walks around the bedroom ceiling which is about

1.5", he eats little spiders and children.
Reply to
dennis

Hell, a 1.5" ceiling wouldn't take him long to walk around either..

Reply to
Harry

In message , AL_n writes

Quite simple, but it can get out of hand............

There was an old lady who swallowed a spider, That wriggled and wiggled and tiggled inside her; She swallowed the spider to catch the fly; I don't know why she swallowed a fly - Perhaps she'll die! There was an old lady who swallowed a bird; How absurd to swallow a bird. She swallowed the bird to catch the spider, She swallowed the spider to catch the fly; I don't know why she swallowed a fly - Perhaps she'll die! There was an old lady who swallowed a cat; Fancy that to swallow a cat! She swallowed the cat to catch the bird, She swallowed the bird to catch the spider, She swallowed the spider to catch the fly; I don't know why she swallowed a fly - Perhaps she'll die! There was an old lady that swallowed a dog; What a hog, to swallow a dog; She swallowed the dog to catch the cat, She swallowed the cat to catch the bird, She swallowed the bird to catch the spider, She swallowed the spider to catch the fly; I don't know why she swallowed a fly - Perhaps she'll die! There was an old lady who swallowed a cow, I don't know how she swallowed a cow; She swallowed the cow to catch the dog, She swallowed the dog to catch the cat, She swallowed the cat to catch the bird, She swallowed the bird to catch the spider, She swallowed the spider to catch the fly; I don't know why she swallowed a fly - Perhaps she'll die! There was an old lady who swallowed a horse... She's dead, of course!

Reply to
Bill