How are wooden curtain rings made?

I've been looking for 40-50 medium oak curtain rings for a 45mm pole (so about 55mm ID) but, thus far, without success. I suspect they would be a pain to DIY (turn the outside, bore the inside, slice, sand - repeat until brain dead) and may not be particularly strong - does anyone know how they're made commercially?

Reply to
nothanks

No. However, I would try steaming thin sheets, laminating them around a cylindrical former, to make a cylinder of the right diameter, from which the rings could be turned. It should be possible to turn them to almost the finished shape before parting off.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

55mm internal diameter

If too light what about rubbing down and staining?

Reply to
alan_m

I know what sort of machine I would mass produce them on, but for lathing, just make 'wheels and tyres' and then part off from the front so the 'tyre' falls off...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Have you tried John Lewis?

Certainly our local one used to have a huge range / stock of such rings. I recall seeing them while ?killing time? when Senior Management was browsing the fabric / sewing stuff near there. The joys of shopping in Bluewater ?

Reply to
Brian

My google-foo seems to be working today - I hadn't thought of searching for "unfinished" curtain rings. It doesn't tell me how they're made but it means I don't have to make the things myself.

Reply to
nothanks

From experience of curtain rings that have broken when someone has fallen against the curtain or children have grabbed the curtain as they are running past, they are formed from about 8 short sections, glued end to end in a circle.

How they make those sections, I don't know.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Quite a number look they are just turned from solid, so have weak areas of cross grain.

Reply to
John Rumm

Quick search

Richard

the overhead shaft!

Reply to
nothanks

This page has a list of curtain pole suppliers, maybe one of them could help you:

Sn!pe

Cheap Asian labour with no H&S would also have been my first suggestion.

Reply to
ARW

He's pretty quick and, at the time of filming, had all fingers attached.

Reply to
Richard

Does he then pass the remaining cores down the line, for the next bloke to make smaller size rings? And then after that they make draughts pieces?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Have you considered a tool like:

Keep your fingers well away from the tool!

Reply to
Fredxx

Hmm. Might be fine in an industrial pillar drill with the work heavily clamped to the table.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yes, I used a vice to hold the wood.

Reply to