How accurate is your petrol station?

The permitted tolerances are +1% -0.5%. Pumps are first type approved by the National Weights and Measures Laboratory. Individual pumps are then verified by the same body, before being fitted with stamped lead seals. The seals both provide evidence that the pump has been verified and prevent anyone tampering with the adjustments. Pumps are then regularly tested by the local Trading Standards officers and usually under a maintenance contract as well.

Manufacturers' fuel tank figures are not the maximum you can squeeze in. They are what the tank should hold, on average, when filled by an average user, probably plus a bit, just in case.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

I think your answer lies in the words "usable capacity". Petrol stations are tested regularly. I expressed interest in a job recently doing exactly that.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Yes, these are the answer. I've not seen one for ages though.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

The message from "Brian Sharrock" contains these words:

Well, it's better than nothing. You'll probably find they do more detailed checks from time to time.

Reply to
Guy King

The LandRover site has the following info "Diesel Models: Useable fuel 59 Litres (13 Gallons). Low fuel warning at 9 litres (2 Gallons) approx. "

so personally I wouldn't be surprised if they mean that the tank capacity is about 68 litres.

Reply to
OG

OR :

Hey, landlord, you want to sell more beer ?

Well fill the bloody glasses up !

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

I usually point out that under & over measure are the same offence and offer to pay for the generous half pint!

Terry

Reply to
Terry

AFAIK Tesco test their checkout scales against a checkweight daily.

I know my local Trading Standards has recently done a test on pubs dispensing from optics and several establishments have been reported to the Procurator Fiscal.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It is only intended to detect gross faults in the equipment. Calibration is usually done every year or two in a proper laboratory.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Could be they allow rather more space in the tank for the angles occurring during off road use?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I know of no pub within a 30 mile radius of where I reside that has oversize lined glasses - they all use brim measure glasses. Most pints are at least 10 percent short measure unless you complain.

Beer is more expensive than petrol so the short beer measures, pint for pint, cost the consumer a lot more than the (small) inaccuracies in the delivery of fuel at a filling station.

Reply to
Alan

In message , Andy wrote

On my car the empty light comes on with around 10 litres of petrol still left in the tank.

Reply to
Alan

Under a code of practice agreed between the trade and Government, brim glasses are permitted 5% head, with the option of a top-up, if requested. Some pubs that use brim glasses display a sign reminding customers of their right to a top-up.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

In message , nightjar wrote

When were the customers consulted about the 'trade' ripping them off?

Why should the customer have to request a full measure? Why isn't it always provided?

It's difficult enough to find a readable price list in many pubs let alone a sign saying that you don't have to be ripped off by the publican.

Reply to
Alan

First actual bit of hard data. Thanks, Checking again it looks like we did about 10-12 miles before filling after the light came on..a third of a gallon roughly in the conditions (mainly urban)..about 1.5 liters..so that means about 60.5 to refill.if your surmise is correct.

It may be a land rover thing. My defender once as going along and teh fuel gauge went up instead of down after quarter full..I didn't pay it much thought, but when it got to 460 miles on the trip, I thought I'd fill it up usually on the limit at 400 miles...never before or since has it taken so much diesel..faulty sender in the tank...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Don't think so. Most tanks have a V shaped sump and a fuel pump. The days of engines cutting out on long right hand bends.....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have never noticed any innacuracies with my local service station, but I would not be suprised - currently the pumps are held together with duct tape and string. I reported to them a while ago that I could see spinning parts (the casing was open about 2 or 3 inches, spinning bits were visible inside) and the pump was taped up shortly after. Now all the pumps are taped up. Suprisingly enough its a BP garage, not an indepenant.

Reply to
ST

Because not every customer wants it. Getting the right combination of glass and head to suit the customers is one of the problems of running a pub. Some like a lined glass, with a full head, some want a brim glass with a low head and some want a brim glass with no head. The taste tends to be regional, but customers are not always from the local area.

It is a statutory requirement to have a price list displaying at least 30 items of food and drink.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

One non-Landy 4x4 I had always had to be parked with the filler cap on the uphill side if the tank was full. Otherwise the fuel leaked out. That is not a problem I ever had with a Landy.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Unfortunately that requirement doesn't seem to extend to making it easily readable. Rather the same as tills at checkouts where the customer readout is movable and always pointing in the wrong direction - if it exists at all.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)