House stripped of copper

So you have to wait 20 minutes once you've emptied the tank? That's unacceptable. Maybe your experience is with a small underpowered boiler. My boiler is extremely huge and efficient.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Many old indirect cylinders are only intended to heat at around 5kW... handy for when sharing the boiler output with the heating on a mid position valve perhaps, but not good for low reheat times on systems where the cylinder has priority.

The one I just put in will heat at around 23kW which is near enough the full output of the boiler. (and means if you can tolerate delivery rates compatible with that rate of heat input you could draw water indefinitely)

Reply to
John Rumm

No, I can fill a bath rapidly because I have to dilute the hot water from the combi otherwise I burn my bollocks off. And that would be a pity because they are splendid.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Easy, have a look in the mirror!

Reply to
John Rumm

+1

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Just fitted one for my parents, just short of £1200 DIY. Glowworm 15HXi at a bargain price of £550, 8 TRV's, 12m of 22mm, 12m of 15mm, Y valve, new programmer/cyl. stat, various other odds and sods.

The extra piping was to change from a gravity fed to Y plan. Took me probably 3 days.

Trade, it could not be done for less than £2000.

Just to fit a boiler, then yes,a cheap boiler, fitted to wall to existing pipework, could be done for £1000. £500ish for the boiler, £500 for labour and the other parts required.

Reply to
A.Lee

Then ISTM your combi is heating the water too much.

With whom?

Reply to
Tim Streater

I wish I could find someone at that price!

Reply to
GB

If washing up empties the tank then your tank is *way* too small.

If filling a bath empties the tank then your tank is still too small. The tijme it take for a bath is more than enough to reheat the tank.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Thats becasue no-one wants to fit a cheap boiler, as it will have a reputation for going wrong. they like to fit a good name, with some justification.

My mate fits Glowwroms, and typically charges £1300-1500 for a straight swap. 5 year guarantee.

Reply to
A.Lee

snipped-for-privacy@care2.com brought next idea :

Stored hot water or a high wattage electric shower is best, though stored will not be 3x as economical, because stored looses heat and you will maybe have to wait for it to heat.

Electric shower has the advantage of still working if your gas/ or combi happens to fail.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Only oif you heat up the exact amout of water needed.

15 minutes in an electric shower uses a lot less water than 15 minutes in a power shower.
Reply to
ARW

whereas if you lose electricity only stored still works

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That depends on how hard you turn it on.

I have to explain to visitors 'please don't turn the shower fully on or we will have to mop up everything

Hot water at 4-5 bar is capable of practically pressure washing all the orifices.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I want a decent boiler - no issues with paying for that.

Reply to
GB

Is she? And do you read your emails on your web site enquiry form?

Reply to
ARW

That is easily solved. Unscrew the hose from the wall unit; you may need to replace the sealing washer with a thinner one; add a small coin with a hole drilled through it and another washer; screw the hose back.

We found that a 3mm hole through a 5 centime piece worked perfectly for a mains-fed, gas-heated shower in France. Previously, you'd come out glowing red from the painful impact of the water - the flow was incredible, but the 28kW water heater just about managed to keep up!

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

With stored hot water, you can not only still have a shower, but can have a bath, a shave or do the washing up, etc. If you don't have enough stored water for your family's needs (we've got three kids and use a lot of water) then an immersion heater can act as backup to the boiler. In fact in our case, with a few minutes frigging of the system, we managed to use the stored hot water and the immersion to provide (limited) heat to some rooms of the house when the fan on the boiler failed in the coldest part of winter!

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Duracell powered boiler?

Reply to
ARW

And nonelectric with stored water still works if either gas or electricity or boiler or immersion fails

Gas hob or oven also works for that.

NT

Reply to
meow2222