House insurance (OT)

a) they would have to find us first b) There is always someone here - either me or OH or both.

There has been the odd burgler in the village and a drug baron too ( they lived there in nice houses and with posh cars until the police mounted a dawn raid). We breed a better class of burgler here ;-)

Reply to
sweetheart

That eBayer you bought the plate off has your address.

He sounded dodgy to me.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Don't make things up and twist and turn your words that make it obvious that you are a troll.

You made the implication that the broker had to live locally. I pointed out that he need not.

Well if you were as pleasant and honest on the broker's answer machine message as you are on usenet then I suspect that the broker just deleted your message and assumed that you are a complete waste of space.

You did phone the broker and leave a message about an insurance quote didn't you?

Or did and just leave a message banging on about patio doors, kitchen fires, an automatic car, an inheritance and the OHs failure to get an erection?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

At first glance I read that as "bugler".

Reply to
Tim Streater

Most of that I may have accepted as a joke but the last 8 words are uncalled for and frankly offensive.

You dont have to like me. You do have the choice of not answering me. Nut to be rude about my OH who has done you no harm is unnecessary.

Reply to
sweetheart

Oh we had one of those too. At 3.00 am pie eyed as a newt and playing the cavelry charge . You could hear it across the whole valley. Police did him for disturbing the peace.

Something else I am coming across now. LV ( who I have my car with) have stipulated that I upgrade all the locks in the house within 28 days if I accept their insurance. I have a note in with RBS to a similar effect.

They want locks on all windows and doors. Mortice locks and locks on patio and French doors ( the later two being a problem still in the solving).

All I have are standard Yale locks. I cant understand RBS though because they have insured me for 10 years without a locks codicil. As I said, I haven't claimed.

Reply to
sweetheart

Why should I not take the piss out of your OH?

He (if he exists) is your problem not mine.

When you are given nice polite advice from any poster you go on the offensive and claim that it cannot be done. You lie and make up all your stories to suit your trolling needs.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Some tautologies:

1) For any element a, in a set S, a=a

2) Insurance companies are thieving bastards...

Possibly bad timing? The thieving bastards need to recoup some of the potential riot losses (where the bastards *do* actually pay out).

The initial mutterings were to load premiums only in the affected areas or cities, but I bet they are adding a general loading too...

That's just a "f*ck off" quote, like when a plumber who's too busy says "100 to change a tap washer".

Keep trying - I find there's always one who is much better than the rest, but you may need to phone a few companies too, who are not represented on the online quoters.

Also, do not overlook brokers - you can get a good deal and they are very helpful if you do want to talk English to something that is actually human.

Try these brokers if you have time:

don't always come up the best on price, but about half the time from me (motor and house insurance) they have beaten the online quotes - and they are very helpful if you need to ask actual questions... I'm off them at the moment, but they will get a call next year for another chance (they were just unlucky this year - seems to go in phases as every year the bloody quotes are seemingly plucked out of a hat at random by *everyone*).

Cheers,

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

He has done you no harm . He has not upset you. It is just inappropriate. Says a lot more about you than it does me if you have to do that really I suppose.

You can think or say what you like about me.

Reply to
sweetheart

To be honest its a good idea to do that anyway, I'd do it if its practical. If you then declare you have such locks to BS or EN whatever, and youre burgled when one is unlcoked, your insurance won't pay.

NT

Reply to
NT

If your situation is rural and at all unusual try NFU on 01954 210007.

They are not known to be the cheapest for everyone but can be very reasonable for rural properties. The cover is also top notch, they paid our claim with no quibble even suggesting things we had not thought of claiming for.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

If you're shopping around, forget the brands that advertise on tv, unless you want to pay a premium to pay for their ads.

NT

Reply to
NT

That is the problem. I asked OH a few weeks ago ( coincidentally ) about locks and he said that our main front and back doors wont take a change of lock ( they are non standard or something _ I am not sure but the doors came with the house when we bought it, as did the locks). The one has a seven lever mortice chubb lock apparently which is up to the new specification but the other has a standard Yale deadlock which isnt acceptable it seems.

Neither the patio doors nor the French doors could have proper locks on them, again because of construction. They do have locks and chains and even bolts but not the spring bolts specified.

The windows have never had locks but I would defy anyone to get through any of them. They are too small. If there was a fire we would almost certainly be trapped here. I have known that for a number of years. You wouldnt even get a head and shoulder through sideways. Unless they are taking to burgling with two year old todlers like in Dickens time?

But the thing is, the house is no different, why then suddenly make a condition that surely RBS know is unacceptable to meet in the time frame? I assume they want rid of me? But I dont know why. As I said, its not as if I have claimed and I have been with them a long time. Since there is always someone in the house I would have thought I was a very good risk

NT

Reply to
sweetheart

Then why not get back to the point in question and forget about your OHs lack of a point?

Why do you not not use an insurance broker or even try one for a quote?

You can phone them or use the internet to get a quote. They need not be local.

If I was an insurance broker I would not quote you for flood damage as living in a house under a bridge has a big risk of flooding.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I got the impression from news coverage that the insurance companies were able to reclaim their payouts from the Police (i.e. the taxpayer, ultimately) under the Riot Act, just as an uninsured member of the public would be able to do. Is that incorrect?

Either way, I'm sure it wouldn't stop them putting up the premiums.

Reply to
mike

In message , sweetheart wrote

RBS in common with all insurance companies will quote a renewal of around 30% more than last year because your introductory discount of 30% is not valid for a second year. This is why you have to shop around every year to get the "introductory" 30% discounts from another company. My household insurance (buildings £0.5million and contents £35k) is around £5 more this year than I paid 2 years ago.

Consider also if you need accidental damage as this can add substantially to the price with some companies.

Reply to
Alan

I wouldn't be so sure - the 'fax machine' came more than 10 years before the telephone.

The Other Mike

Isn't that a recommendation to avoid them if you don't have high risk drivers on the policy?

Reply to
Alan

I wouldn't be so sure - the 'fax machine' came more than 10 years before the telephone.

The Other Mike

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Cap saying something like:

Yep. Cheap as chips on first going with them.

A 50% increase for year two.

Ditto; after some reduction.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon