Slightly OT - Insurance for empty house

My mam died a few months ago and we have inherited her house (a mid-terraced about 150 years old in Preston, Lancashire). When she died, Lloyds TSB (who she had both contents and buildings insurance with) said that they would continue to cover the contents for us for 3 months and the buildings for 6 months.

The house is now completely empty of all contents and the buildings cover will run out soon. The house needs to be rewired, re-plumbed, new bathroom suite, new CH etc., etc., and eventually, after all the work is completed, we're going to rent it out.

Does anyone know of any insurance companies specializing in covering empty houses while they are being refurbished? And, being a bit naive about such things, would such insurance cover any tools left there overnight? I'm thinking here of my cousin for instance, who works as a plasterer for the local council. He'll be doing the plastering for us as a "foreigner" and doesn't have any 'self-employed' or 'commercial' insurance to claim from if his cement mixer were to get nicked.

TIA,

Mogweed.

Reply to
Mogweed

Normally the builder will have cover, but if its a self renovate you need to get something simil;ar youerself.

As far as tooles etc go, do what I did. Rent a steel container with a huge padlock, and sit it somewhere safe and stick everythiung in that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There are indeed; as you're going to be renting it out your best bet is to find a landlord's insurance policy now. Explain to the broker/insurance co that it will be vacant and being renovated before being let out; many of these policies will allow a period of being vacant, as this is a common requirement for landlords; even if you can't get one that does, the broker will be able to set you up. Certainly forget about approaching the big compnies like Direct Line, MoreThan, Norwich Union etc; they won't want to know.

Personally, I'd recommend

(although NB I've never had to make a claim!) - I currently have a policy from them just like the one you want.

As regards insurance for tools etc - I'd say forget it. If you are able to find cover which includes it, I suspect the premiums would be prohibitive. Just make sure your cousin's aware his kit won't be insured on the job - builders are well used it!

hth David

Reply to
Lobster