House Building

shurely water vapour will always move from areas of high humidity to areas of low humidity be they inside or outside?

as long as you controlled the humidity buildup inside via *another way* there would be no issues.....

JimK

Reply to
JimK

That probably isn't too much of a problem. Renewing planning permission is usually routine and may be automatic if got in time for all I know. The other point I would make is that land is zoned for certain types of development so outline PP within the right zone is a walkover and translating that into detailed PP is less of a problem for a developer who will cut his suit to please the the planners than for a private developer with very definite views on what *he* wants to live in.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Except in the case where we used to live. The landowner had got PP to build a golf course on all the land between our village and the next. His (Japanese) funding fell through, and then he did nothing for 5 years. When he tried to apply again he was refused. I think the local plan had changed in the interim. It was a dopey scheme anyway, as there was not the local infrastructure to support it. Anyway everyone in the village was pleased as he'd pissed them all off by saying the village riff-raff were not intended to use the facility.

Reply to
Tim Streater

On current build costs the land is usually about 35% of the overall cost, with another 35% being the build cost (including the costs of providing utilities) with the final 30% being the financing costs and profit.

If the build costs were halved (which I reckon is going to be impossible however efficient you make the process because the builder can't do anything to reducing the cost of utilities) you are going to save 17.5%. This will reduce a house from 250K to 205. IMHO this is still unaffordable to someone of 25K pa

tim

Reply to
tim....

You cannot build on agricultural land without getting PP for building dwellings. And once you have done that it becomes worth 200K.

No-one in possession of agi land is going to sell it to a builder without first making sure that he is the one to reap the reward of getting the PP.

(You could argue that it is the planning restriction are the reason for high Land Prices and if they were removed then houses could be built cheaply. But that wouldn't work as the effect of removing planning restrictions would see the price of ALL suitable agi land jumping up to the price now commanded by land with PP for dwellings.)

tim

Reply to
tim....

There were some self build plots sold near me recently.. they were around £25k, So by your reckoning the house is going to cost about 10k to build.

Homes are expensive because people are prepared to pay for them. If people weren't paying the price they wouldn't be expensive.

Reply to
dennis

I don't think they're nearly as common as they were. I don't think I've seen a place built prior to the 80's here that *doesn't* have a basement

- but I believe lots of new builds just have crawlspaces beneath the ground floors now. I think in some areas (although not around here) whether there's a basement or not can affect property taxes and insurance prices quite a bit.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Surely if the chimney is inside the structure it doesn't matter what it looks like? A pair of concentric stainless pipes, some insulation, and a Tudor-style pot on the roof and you are away!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

And of course much immigration is from EU countries, and controlled (!) by Brussels not Westminster.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

SE region of England (the official region, as in

to have a density of about 1070 per square mile. Slightly higher than the Netherlands, but nowhere near Bangladesh (or a bunch of smaller countries)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Ouch! I was going to ask if anyone knew what the lowest was, but I suppose there must be lots of spots where it's zero :-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Here's one:

Clot

Tim Streater

Speculators hold any, land. It always rises in price. If you get PP all the better.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You don't say. Get the point.

If he knows its a builder of course. Which again is besides the point.

You could and it would be very correct. Also the absence of Land Valuation Tax is another.

As only 7.5% of the land settled, if PP is dropped on all land, prices will drop as there is just to much land to build on. Do some sums.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Where? They would be snapped up in 10 seconds.

This forum is full of fools.

People have Hobson's choice. Again.... "Few realise that the high land value is the reason why their homes are so expensive." Understand that.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Uh!

2/3 of the total value of hosue on average is the cost of the land. In London it is off the scale. In Chelsea a former 2 up 2 down can fetch 2 million, with rebuild costs £100K.
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It's tiny you silly Tory voting pillock.

Which is small to Siberia, which small to Saturn. Duh!

It isn't.

Total tripe!!!

< snip drivel >
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The country ids the UK. There isn't much land at the bottom of my street either.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

< snip drivel >

Thank you.