hot water in my cold water feed tank

After returning from our holiday my children informed me that one of the loft overflow pipes had been dripping whilst we were away. I decided to have a look around tonight when I put the cases away i was suprised to find the water in the expansion tank was hot! i have been told it might be a leaking coil in the cylinder tank. i have bailed it out a few time and the water looks a bit brown near the bottom of the tank . im a bit short of money at the moment has anyone any ideas what it could be .what would happen if i left it dripping thanks jane

Reply to
diy jane

I'm not clear which tank this is, hw feed or CH header. In either case tho, if the overflow's dripping, either the fill ballcock is dripping or its set to too high a level.

A hot dripping header will cause:

- wasted energy cost

- increased damp in the loft

- risk of a plastic header tank collapse dumping its hot contents onto someone.

The latter has been known to kill but it is a rarity.

You probably could sort this with either no money or =A31 max. Probably.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

or the coil in the hot water cylinder is holed as suggested by the OP, so the circuit is filling up from the cold water storage tank, which should be a higher level (so water doesn't leak in the opposite direction).

- flushing inhibitor out of the heating circuit, resulting in premature internal rusting and leaking of radiators.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

How old is the cylinder? I had exactly the same prob. with mine which was 35 yrs. old. Cost around £250 to replace and fit. Leaving it like this will increase your fuel bills and make a wet mess under the overflow.

Reply to
Roger Cain

If it is leaking of water from the hot water system into the heating circuit it is likely to accelerate corrosion, rusting and sludging of the heating circuit.

It really does need to be fixed. The brown water in the bottom of the tank is a tell-tale sign.

Reply to
Andy Hall